Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 3" Reid sabot?  (Read 4539 times)

alwion

• Email
3" Reid sabot?
« on: November 05, 2011, 04:43:20 PM »
I have a 3" chip base Reid with a brass/bronze ring style sabot. About 2/3 rds of the top of the sabot shows. It has a pattern pressed into the top like a brooke ratchet system, they are space fairly evenly spaced, tappered like a brooke all the same direction, but they also line up under the 4 "chips " that flew off the base. Just coincidence from the spiral when fired and the chips flew off at different time?
 did any 3" ringed sabot reids ever have brooke ratchets?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: 3" Reid sabot?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Alan.  Love all the questions you're posting to dislodge us from our slumber here.

3in, and more commonly 2.9", Brookes had a Brooke sabot.  If it has a nut  in the bottom center of the sabot, your "Read" is a Brooke and thats very good for you. 

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:00:27 PM »
Picture of a 2.9inch Brooke sabot and the bolt that secured it to the shell bottom

alwion

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 06:14:23 PM »
Its a ring type sabot (milled base? I'm not always correct on terms, being self taught)  not a bolt on disc or plate type. were any ring style brooke sabots put on a bourelleted 2.9 or 3" reid? Looks some like the sabot on the  6.4 brooke on page 175 of Jacks book, including the chipping. I think its from firing, but wanted to eliminate the possibilities. unfortunately my closeup skill or camera stinks

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 06:59:39 PM »
Sir,
   Try you luch with some images othewise we start to guess at your question. Below is a Milled Base Brooke:
Regards,
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 01:21:59 AM »
Alwion wrote:
> Did any 3" ringed sabot reids ever have brooke ratchets?

The answer to that question is No.  The "ratchet pattern" you see on your chipped-base Read ring-sabot shell is the result of the cannon-firing blast pressure causing the sabot's top to "take the impression" of the bottom of the large iron chips as they began to split off the shell's lower sides.  That is why, as you noticed (and mention in your post), the ratchet-looking impressions "line up under the 4 chips."

By the way, the odds are about 99% that your Read shell's ring-sabot is copper, not brass/bronze.  The Confederacy's supply of brass was too limited to waste it on making single-use objects like artillery projectile sabots.  Thus, the Confederate Ordnance Department almost always conserved the brass for making repeated-use items like spurs and sword-guards.  But before the yankees captured the Confederacy's largest copper mine, at Ducktown TN, plenty of "plain" copper was available ...enough to spare for making artillery projectile sabots. 

Common "yellow" brass is an alloy which in most cases contains approximately 75% copper and 25% zinc, or 80/20 copper-&-zinc.  At higher percentages of copper, the brass's color becomes closer to copper's color, and is called orange-brass, red-brass, tombac, and copperbrass (depending on the percentage of copper in it).  Bronze is an alloy of about 80% copper with 20% tin.  Both zinc and tin were very scarce in the wartime Confederacy, and had to be supplied by "salvaging" or importing,.  That is why the shipwrecks of civil war Blockade-Runner ships sometimes contain large ingots of European tin and zinc.

Regards,
Pete

alwion

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 07:28:17 AM »
Thank you all, Thats what I had thought for years, till I actually saw a brooke base, then wasn't sure. now I"m sure again