Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: would like your opinion....  (Read 4069 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
would like your opinion....
« on: February 23, 2019, 07:04:12 AM »
I finally have all my artillery and relics on one property, after all these years and having to move recently.
   my question to you all is this;    I have hundreds of shells. I am setting up my new relic room and a lot of them are just ' thrown' into my room up on shelves and such, lining the walls and in display cases. Very haphazard, to a purist collector, but in my opinion kinda cool as your eyes scan and find gems here and there as you go shelf to shelf, area to area. A treasure discovery everywhere you look....   so my dilemma is ; should I put them all in 'type' groups, and size increasing ??  I see this as sorta a negative - if someone doesn't care much about say, Hotchkiss or Federal shells at all for instance, than their eyes would flash right past this 'grouping' and onto the Selma's or Reads or something that holds their interest more.
 And I realise I will never have one of every shell, nor do I desire to even go that route. I always have acquired what trips my interest.... so chronological grouping doesn't make much desire to me. Plus, I have tons [ literally ] of duplicates. What would I do with them ??  I know some of you are saying, ' sell them, dummy !!  Do you really need 50+ Read shells !!"   
   Just looking for others opinions.... I think I talked myself into ' haphazard' as I typed this out, but...….

redbob

• Email
Re: would like your opinion....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 09:17:30 AM »
I vote haphazard because if they are all in perfect order and grouped together to my eye, they all start to look alike. And I like to think that after I'm gone some person (possibly from this group) will be able to sort them for disposal however they please.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:41:28 AM by redbob »

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:35:52 PM »
I like the haphazard because that is how mine is. I do site segregation, trying to keep all small stuff found together in close proximity. A bunch of oyster shells, nails, broken glass that came from the same site as a few shells adds to the story. That way every place you look adds to the story

svedra

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 12:10:02 AM »
I like organized

Selma Hunter

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 08:28:40 AM »
Redbob,

Either way is fine with me but after reading about what the Virginia Department of Historical Resources just did with the Rev war ordnance in their care please don't use the term "dispose" with regard to relics.  Somebody up there is too "touchy feeley" and needs a safer place to work.

Ignorance abounds and astounds!

redbob

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 08:57:30 AM »
Very true Sir and as my wife likes to say: You can't fix stupid. And the disposal word came from a lawyer.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:11:07 AM by redbob »

svedra

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 06:46:23 PM »
For fuses, I put them in the order of the jones book. Don’t know if others do this with their collections.

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 08:08:43 PM »
I am certain what is organized to me would be considered by others to be random at best or in a state of confusion at worst.  But at the risk of being flippant, it makes all the sense in the world to me and I can quickly go to any relic in the collection.  And when someone that really appreciates what they are looking at gravitates to a really neat relic in my collection, it tells me they are a kindred spirit in more ways than one.  So my vote is organize in a way that satisfies you and gives you the most pleasure when it is just you in your relic room.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 07:59:00 AM »
I like things to be organized.  That said, my relic collection is very unorganized.  I have random stuff sitting everywhere and I love it.  As long as you know where a particular item is, that's all that matters.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 03:35:40 AM »
Mine changes. Considered a novice or small time collector due to smaller pocket book I actually rearrange mine from time to time to give the relic room a different look. I don't have but about 30 shells, 5 swords 4 guns and misc. other stuff such as a few canteens, several large bullets in wood, about 30 photos a few federal plates and some other smalls. so you can see why I spent time re arranging. gives new life to the man cave. but I enjoy my small collection just as much as the big collectors enjoy theirs which is all that matters. I'm a proud collector none the less and to be frank when you have to work harder for a relic you seem to appreciate it longer. God has blessed me with what I have and he gets the credit for every item. Now to my first Confederate plate. I cant wait......... Anybody got a sweet deal they are ready to part with. lol im kidding. A special shot out to my very special friend Dick Ferry who has been very generous in his sells to me by allowing me to pay payments on some items. And to Terry Waxham who was extremely generous several ears ago who out of the blue sent me a package of artifacts from his collection. He barely knew me and he has his own special display case dedicated to him. He and Dicky are very special un selfish gentlemen that will never be forgotten for there generosity. I have tried to make contact with Terry to thank him again but haven't had any luck. if anyone here has the ability to contact him please drop a note to him. I have something for him as well. Thank great gentleman for allowing my rant.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 11:15:53 AM »
Dave:  If your duplicate shells no longer "spark joy" for you, you obviously need a de-cluttering consultation from https://konmari.com/

Jay:  I will PM you Terry's contact information which may work for you to reach him.

relicrunner

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 12:07:48 PM »
My collection is a bit unorganized but I do have my artillery grouped according what they have in common with each. My general projectile groups are, Revolutionary War, CS field artillery,
 large round balls (32lber to 13"), US field artillery, Kennesaw Mtn area, Stones River area and then misc others scattered around. I like projectiles with digger and/or battlefield  provenance.