Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 7" brooke  (Read 4850 times)

alwion

• Email
7" brooke
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:59:34 AM »
recently got a 7" brooke tall bolt from the charleston area. the sabot shows 10 lands and groove for I think the 7" CS rifle? where can I find more info or pictures of this gun, and is there any way to trace the possible battery's it could have been fired from? Thanks alan

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: 7" brooke
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »
Sir,
  Where in Charleston was it found? that should tell you where it was fired from.
Regards,
John
How about a couple of nice images.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 04:27:04 PM »
Unfortunately all I got was Charletown, no exact location. Her is a link to my new 7" quartet.
http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g465/alwion/shells/
I had so much trouble finding anything about the 7" ten lands and groove rifling, I thought there might have not been too many at charlestown. All of the guns I could find info on had different rifling. the 3 are from charlestown, the dyer probably from island ten, though he had bought it as fired from the tennessee

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »
Sir,
If I remember correctly Charlestown is located west of the Ashley river about a half mile north of Hwy 17.   The only place I can imagine it came from would have been from James Island.  It certainly would not have come from Fort Sumpter or the Battery.  I don't know if a 7 inch Brooke was at Fort Johnson or not.
sorry I guess I was not much help.
Regards,
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 01:36:50 AM »
Alwion wrote:
> The sabot shows 10 lands and groove for I think the 7" CS rifle?
> Where can I find more info or pictures of this gun?

The book ""Civil War Heavy Explosive Ordnance" by Jack Bell contains a very extensive listing of civil war cannon-rifling, categorized by bore-diameter and number of rifling grooves.  Unfortunately, in regard to your 7"-caliber Brooke Bolt's sabot with 10-groove rifling marks, the book's only lsiting for a 7-inch cannon with 10 rifling grooves is simply the phrase "CS Rifle."  That listing is based on a projectile in Mr. Bell's collection.  Apparently, no other evidence exists for a civil war 7-inch caliber cannon with 10-groove rifling.  If such a cannon had survived into the 20th-Century, there'd be some documentation of it somewhere.

Regards,
Pete

alwion

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 07:46:57 AM »
I think thats all the answer we will get, but I'm learning so will post some pic other than the link so I will know how:)

alwion

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 07:53:50 AM »
It's always a good day when you learn how to do something:)

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 07:22:22 AM »
Thanks for the pics. I have always thought the Harding was the most beautiful shell of the Confederacy. Nice example there.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 07:37:21 AM »
I'm fairly facinated by all the shapes. canister, stand grape ,teardrop, flattop bolts. . Had a design for every need that fit every gun.