Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: bullet ID from Brass Mold  (Read 7845 times)

alwion

• Email
bullet ID from Brass Mold
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:53:04 AM »
I'm not really sure how to post a picture with this system, so try this:) http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g465/alwion/

I cast this in clay from the pictured brass mold. steel rivit is rust pitted, and patina look ok.
the bullet mikes like .54 (54 cal?) and resembles most a teardrop. the rings on the teat are odd, like the teat was drilled with a grooved bit. looks like a tappered bit was used for the sprue, and went down into and past the "ball" area. overall about 5/8" tall. Please forgive me if my terms are off, not really up on bullets. bought a small collection one and studied, but I'm an edged weapon and shell guy :D. if the picts don't show, please note how to fix them and I will  alan

acwbullets

• Email
Re: bullet ID from Brass Mold
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 12:29:53 AM »
Interesting mold. Is there any chance it could be a roundball mold that has been rechased? Neat piece and it may be some form of picket bullet which typically came in all shapes and sizes.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:16:51 AM »
I bought a small collection of bullets and a few molds over the year, and M&M's book, but basically know nothing about either. I'm not sure what chasing is, and not even sure of the age. trying to research, that style mold was listed rev to current ( repro). I don't think it started as a round ball though. it has that weird stepped base and then the sprue, the base would take ALOT of work to take off as its almost the size of the bullet. The teat could have come later with a "drill" of some type. the base and center ball area are well finished, the teat looks like it was done with a damaged tool and shows several small grooves which don't show as well in the picts. it looks "unfinished". So I looked at M&M again, eliminating the teat in my mind, and still didn't come up with anything. It does resemble several revolver bullets, but they were not that big. Maybe for a cartridge?  some of those look similar but this still has more of a teardrop shap than the ones I saw

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:04:29 AM »
It is certainly a unique bullet. My thought is that the mold was made for or by a gunsmith or target shooter experimenting with different bullets.
Just a thought.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:23:55 PM »
I do think the mold old. anyone with an opinion of time frame for this style mold, even if we don't know the gun it was for? forgot to post its 7" long