Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Famous Photograph  (Read 3206 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Famous Photograph
« on: September 08, 2018, 08:38:28 PM »
I wish I could post the picture but cant. Everyone one on here knows the famous photo. I'm speaking of one of the Gettysburg photos, the one that is a close up of a dead reb, his abdomen is ripped open and his hand is blown off and is lying beside him with a canteen in the foreground and his musket is lying across his legs with bayonet attached. Yall have seen it. My question is, Is that an un-detonated 10 pound parrot round lying in the background next to his body? I never noticed it before.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Famous Photograph
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »
I suspect you are referring to the one below I snipped from the full image.  And I'd say that it is indeed a Parrott shell.  Unfortunately the graininess and size doesn't allow (me at least) the ability to discern if it is a Parrott, Read-Parrott or Read but I'd say from the shell's profile it is a Parrott or Read-Parrott.  If we could find a high resolution scan of the original then we could probably tell more detail about the sabot.

The full image is here (Warning: Not for weak of stomach):
    https://allthatsinteresting.com/battle-of-gettysburg-photos#6
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:17:11 AM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 07:56:04 PM »
It is a well known fact that some of the photos at Gettysburg were staged. To me this appears to be staged as well. Although it is a real dead body I think the whole rifle laying cross his legs and the shell laying the way it is just appears to me to be staged. Opinions?

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 08:08:22 AM »
Agreed, completely staged.  The weapon is probably a prop along with the projectile.  There are accounts of photographers dragging the same body around to pose in different shots at gettysburg (IE: famous home of the sharpshooter image at Devils Den).  By the time they got there, many of the bodies were buried in several sectors of the battlefield. 

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 12:05:27 PM »
Do to the condition of the body I do not believe it was moved around the battlefield like the "Sharpshooter" was. I think the location of the photograph IS the spot of his demise. The photographer did take the liberty of adding props however. That's my opinion.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 06:11:50 PM »
Lol, no i don't think that body was drug around.  Yuck

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 07:49:28 PM »
Here's the link to an extremely comprehensive study on the Devil's Den sharpshooter photos -

http://www.jamescgroves.com/henry/summary.htm

It may have been posted on here years ago.  You gotta really be interested to read the whole thing - but, if you do, you'll be convinced the body was found at DD, & then dragged downhill for the other set of pictures.  The Gettysburg National Park's official position is that the body was dragged uphill - but the rangers (or at least the ones I'm aware of) disagree.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:36:29 AM by Lamar »