Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Value Check  (Read 3681 times)

pipedreamer65

• Email
Value Check
« on: August 18, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
Friend of our family inherited these three items.  They brought them to me to inspect and place a value on.  I told them $275-350. Nothing remarkable here, full length cdv, no bm, private in New York State uniform with deep South backdrop.  Period small tintype of his wife and newborn circa 1862, and a soldiers book of prayer, water stain on cover, but the rest of the booklet is solid and has a notation in the back that he carried it during the war.  Soldier is id'd, 111th NY infantry.  Thanks for any feedback

pipedreamer65

• Email
Re: Value Check
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 11:43:15 AM »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 01:02:09 AM »
I'm not much help on these items but like them.  Trader Sean and a number of other people on here are good resources.   Did the box of buttons, etc. come with them?
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 05:56:19 PM »
If it is his ancestors, its priceless, but if it is some people lost to history, then $275 is at the top limit from what little I know about this sort of thing.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 11:31:15 PM »
Did the box of buttons, etc. come with them?

Lol, negative, I was in a hurry and the table was the flattest thing besides the floor i could find.  That's my stuff.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:43:57 PM »
Pipe, I think you made a good estimate of the value of the items.   If the condition and content of the CDV was better then it could have been higher.   What's in the box? 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »
Thanks guys.  I feel like I gave them a good range.  They can do what they want with it.  You know how some people are, they think they are sitting on a gold mine. 

Garrett, it is a display table filled with dug relics from Wilmington/Ft Fisher.  It has a little bit of everything in it.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 03:26:08 AM »
I knew it.   Wish I could see your vast Fort Fisher collection in detail. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain