Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: How to display bullets?  (Read 14789 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
How to display bullets?
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:39:07 PM »
Hello,

I've not got a big bullet collection nor any great finds but having hunted for a lot of years I've managed to pick up a few varieties here and there.  One thing that's always been pulling at me is how to best display them.  Currently, like many, I have them in wooden cases with felt background.  The problem to me with this approach is unless you are to allow for every known type whch requires a big outlay in cases to begin with I have to constantly shift the bullets around to keep them in any order.  Plus the display appears to have lots missing while I wait to fill in the holes for the missing items.  I thought about long narrow shelves but the propect of keeping that dusted didn't set well.

I would like to learn more about the lead projectiles and pick up some addtions here and there.   I'd very much like to hear how others recommend displaying them.  I'd especially be interested in displays that are view friendly for fellow collectors, relatives and friends.   I'd not likely ever take them to display remotely so it doesn't have to be portable.  Thanks in advance for sharing what you've settled on or seen elsewhere.
Best,
Carl

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Re: How to display bullets?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 09:07:43 AM »
Type trays or thimble collector's trays are good for hanging on the wall.  These are made of wood, however, so have to be sealed with something so as not to react with the lead.

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »
Carl,

I have my bullet collection in the wood/felt display drawers with two of the cabinets made by Bob Hammonds when he had his business. I also have an old printer's type drawer (as Jim mentioned above) and another display similar to the printers drawer (probably made to display thimbles or such) with both of these on the wall. Years ago when I first started collecting I had the same problem on how to display and these worked great until the collection got too large. I now have these two wall displays filled with nothing but Enfields. The printers type set drawer holds 200 bullets and the other display I have holds 138 bullets. If you look around you will be able to find different sizes of this type of display. I cut felt and placed in each of the sections for the bullets to set on and haven't had any problem with the wood and lead reacting with the bullets on the felt but they do not touch the sides or back and therefore are not contacting the wood. Mike has been asking me to take photos and post and as usual I am very slow at getting around to taking the photos and posting. I do have the pics on the camera but haven't downloaded to the computer and cropped. I will try to get to that in the next day or so to give you an idea on what the bullets look like displayed.

pachaplain

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 10:33:30 PM »
Jim T and others

This is a question I have also wondered about. Some of my bullets and cartridges I have displayed in wood thimble cases and a few in a small Riker case. I have just recently purchased another, larger, Riker case to display some new bullets I have received added to my small collection. Jim T said, "These are made of wood, however, so have to be sealed with something so as not to react with the lead." I do not know anything about this problem. Can anyone explain it to me. Does lining the wood case with felt prevent this problem and how can I line the small spaces in a wood thimble case with felt? What else could I use to seal the wood to prevent the problem? I have had my bullets in these wooden cases for several years and haven't seen any problems-at least so far as I can tell. Any information will be appreciated.
Dennis

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 11:37:31 AM »
I have some custom made cases that hang on the wall - wood shelves and back and glass locking front.  As per a recommendation by Tom Stelma, I coat each bullet with matte finish polyurthene to prevent any deterioriation, and I use small adhesive tags on the shelves to label each bullet.  With this set up, I can rearrange if needed, bullets are displayed very well, and I don't have to worry about dust or someone coming along and handling the bullets without permission.  This has worked well for me.

I've attached two photos - not the best quality but what I have on my computer right now.  The first shows an entire case, the second a closer shot of how I label the individual bullets.

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 11:38:48 AM »
I haven't figured out attachments it seems - here is the picture of the entire display case

ETEX

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »
I like and think that custom display case looks great. Looks like you a bullet or three.

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 07:54:04 PM »
 Nice display. 8)

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 08:31:11 PM »

If I remember correctly I think the only problem with wood and bullets occurs when lead and oak are mixed. Tannic acid released from oak will eat at the bullet's patina. I really like the your bullet display, Misipirelichtr .
Later,
Dave Slemmer

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 11:23:13 PM »
Dave is correct. The tannic acid mixes with carbone dioxide in the air. This creates a chemical reaction and will eventually eat up the bullet. You should note that while the part touching the wood will erode a lot faster the entire bullet will be under attack.

ETEX

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 11:28:31 PM »
Dave and Ian,
Thanks for jumping in on the Tannic Acid/CO2 erosion. I knew I wasn't a chemist major for a reason.

pachaplain

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 05:44:44 PM »
Thanks all for explaining about oak wood and tannic acid/CO2 erosion. Does having the oak wood varnished eliminate this problem?

Below is a picture of how I am currently displaying my collection. I have about another dozen and one half bullets which I haven't put on display yet and several other items such as percussion caps, a friction primer, buckles, buttons, and even a piece of tobacco from the civil war. The bullets in the small riker case in the middle have name tags below each bullet. The bullets and cartridges in the thimble cases are numbered and identified on the two sheets which I keep in a plastic folder nearby. I am thinking of putting a small identification tag below each bullet and cartridge in each shot of the cases, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Dennis

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »
Thanks for the kind words about the displays.  Those that commented on the oak effect are spot on.  It's hard to tell from the photos, but my bullet cases are made from red gum (heart wood of sweetgum; this is the case pictured) and yellow poplar.  They have been coated with clear matte finish polyurthene, and the bullets, including the bases have also been coated with clear matte finish polyurthene.  Tom Stelma convinced me the bullets ought to be coated - and after having done so, I have to agree that at least for me, this is the right way to go.  Doesn't affect the patina, does not have an "unnatural" look, can be removed, and I've seen no further deterioration on those that I have coated.

I plan to take some better photos of the cases to post in the near future, as well as some closeups of bullets that I don't have a solid identification for.  Jim Thomas, I've not forgotten I promised to get some posted on the forum, and I will shortly