Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: .58 caliber minie variant  (Read 7554 times)

pachaplain

• Email
.58 caliber minie variant
« on: October 21, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »
Hi again,

In response to my last post, our friend, Coonboy, send me some Marshall TX Enfields and some other bullets. One of these that peaks my interest is a variant of a .58 caliber 3 ring minie ball.  One of the first bullets I ever purchased as part of a small Riker case of sample bullets at the Sharpsburg Arsenal in Sharpsburg was a .58 caliber 3 ring minie. It has a diameter of .568 inches and is pointed with a length of 1.025 inches. It has a conical pointed cavity which measures .30 inches deep and .30 at its widest.  The variant is .575 inches in diameter and it is rounded and measures 0.910 inches in length. Its cavity is .30 inches deep, but is .40 inches at its widest. But what really peaks my interest is the fact that it does not have a conical pointed cavity, but rather seems to a  Ellipsoidal or Ogival cavity instead.  I sent a Private Message to Coonboy about this, but I also told him I would post it on the forum so I could attach some pictures. If any of you other have any information about this variant please pass it on.
Dennis

pachaplain

• Email
Re: .58 caliber minie variant
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »
I haven't heard back from Coonboy. As anyone talked with him in the last few days? I am also open for other peoples opinions about this 58 caliber 3 ringer variant.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:35:32 AM by ohiochaplain »
Dennis

ETEX

Re: .58 caliber minie variant
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 11:49:33 PM »
Ohio, I have a bullet very similar to the one you got from Terry that measures .584 x .909 x 442 with a cavity depth of .363. The difference I see is the nose is just a bit longer than the picture you posted but the bullet I have is extremely short and dumpy also. The cavity appears to be a stepped cavity but it looks like someone dug around in it with some type of instrument. I do not have a photo of it right now but again will try to get some photos taken. I have mine just as an unlisted 3 Ring. I have checked all my reference books but RBTRF Vol 1 and will do that tomorrow. I have not found it in any other reference books with the exception it is a close match to the MM-440 but in a 58 caliber with the TT Handbook cross referencing the bullet as a TT 129-v.