Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: A Couple of Question?  (Read 10289 times)

pachaplain

• Email
A Couple of Question?
« on: October 05, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
A couple of questions for you fellow leadheads. I recently purchaed a Marshall Texas Arsenal Enfield bullet. It seems also identical to another enfield bullet I own. Was there a difference in physical characteristics between the Marshall Arsenal bullet and other cone base enfield bullets or is it just that these particular bullets were made at this arsenal?
Another questionconcerns what I heard called a fat or wide (ring) Sharps Carbine bullet. The ring on my Sharps are seem wide compared to say a .58 cal minie ball ring.  Also what is the M&M or the T&T number for this Sharps bullet? Thanks in advance for any and all help/information.
Dennis

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Ohio, pics would go a long way toward understanding the questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 08:10:33 AM »
 :)

pachaplain

• Email
Re: A Couple of Question?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 04:49:27 PM »
Jim and others,
While they are somewhat fuzzy, here at a couple of pictures.  The one on the left (in both pictures) is a enfield bullet which the seller claims was dug on the site of the Marshall Texas arsenal in the early 1970's. If that is the case its is a M&M 247 (T&T 146V). It's diameter is .56 inches and it's length is 1.10 inches. The depth of it's cone cavity is .31 inches. The bullet on the right I have had in my collection for a long time and have no history of. I also asumed it is a M&M 227 (again T&T 146V). It's diameter is .56 inches and it's is 1.06 inches. The depth of it's cone cavity is .445 inches. Do I have the correct identification for both of these bullets?
Dennis

pachaplain

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »
Jim and other,
Regarding my second question about a "fat or wide sharps carbine bullet, I saw an old listing on Ebay regarding what the seller called a "fat or wide sharps carbine bullet." I have attached a copy of the picture from the listing. I already have four different sharps bullets in my collection of which I have attached a picture. From left to right, they are a .52 caliber sharps carbine (flat based), .a 52 caliber High Base sharps (small cone base), a .52 caliber sharps bullet with a teat base, and a ,52 caliber Richmond sharps (with a flat base). My question is if this other bullet  has a wider/fatter ring (?) than these others or not. And if so, what is it's M&M and/or T&T number. Thanks for any help.
Dennis

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 04:16:19 AM »
Ohio Chaplain,

Looking at the enfields and they are a bit fuzzy the enfield on the left does appear to be a Marshall Texas Enfield. The one on the right appears to be just one of the hundreds of enfield variants. The sharps bullet from eBay is way to fuzzy for my eyes to see but the only wide band/belt sharps is the MM-475/TT-116/RBTRF Vol IV Bullet 218. I hope this helps.

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »
I should have added in the above posting it would be very unusual to see a belted sharps on eBay. I only know one collector with this bullet and I have been looking for years for one to become available to add to my collection. It is the only Sharps in the M&M I don't have in my collection.

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 11:52:35 PM »
The ebay sharps is a .52 Sharps linen bullet. They typically run $5-8.00 for a good one.

coonboy

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »
I sent you several Marshall Minies from the powdermill and a few from behind our home. You can compare them to your purchases and instantly tell if you purchased Marshalls. I can tell from the photo that one is definitely not a Marshall and I would be doubful about the other. I also sent you so percussion caps I dug there along with some Misc. items and minies.They are in the mail. I did not realize I could still type.     Coon boy
Terry

pachaplain

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 07:45:17 AM »
Terry,

I thank you again ( the first time in a pm) for your generosity for sharing these bullets (and percussion caps) with me. I'll let you know how my bullet compares with your Marshall Minies in a few days (I'll be out of town over the weekend).

Ohiochaplain
Dennis

pachaplain

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
I also want to express my thanks to ETEX for the information about the Ebay sharps.  You helped me to not buy a bullet which was misidentified. It is sometimes chancey(sp.?) to buy a bullet on Ebay, though I have gotten a couple of good deals. Thank you also for all the information you shared in your pm (personal message). Good hunting for new finds.
Dennis

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 01:55:52 PM »
I also wanted to chime in on Terry's generosity. He has been VERY generous to me, a young collector. He has his very own section in my in my man cave. Terry, I pray that you and your wife are feeling better, havnt heard from you in some time.

Jay
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.