Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Plug Nose  (Read 9164 times)

ETEX

Plug Nose
« on: September 25, 2011, 04:10:03 PM »
Hey gang, here I go again with a post for everyone to have fun and take a shot. A friend sent photos of a bullet he dug at a valid location. Several more of this same type bullet has come from the area as well as good valid minies. I have a bullet very similar dug from a different site. Mine was dug by a very reliable digger and in a good location. The bullets have a unique color patina with a very flat nose. They fit the size of the MM-589 but not the profile of the grooves (MM photos are old and not the best). The bullet in my collection appears to have ground action which reduced the upward slant and crispness of the grooves also. The circumference of the nose shows silver/grey color and loss of patina giving the appearance of freshly poured lead. The measurements are (mine) .582 x .963 with a cavity depth of .409. The other has a measurement of .376 x .963 and a cavity depth of .378. A different reference book lists this bullet as well as one being on a site for sale. I believe this to be a very valid ACW period bullet and need input from the experts. Pro or Con I appreciate any and all thoughts, knowledge, and validity of this bullet. Okay "Ready, Aim, Fire." Going to have to post the pics in two posts it won't accept the kb or number. 
Well I will have to try to send this and then the pics, not letting this thing post.
 ???

ETEX

Re: Plug Nose
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 05:43:01 PM »
Photos added

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 05:44:31 PM »
Rest of photos and thanks Carl.

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »
Hi ETEX,
Hey gang, here I go again with a post for everyone to have fun and take a shot. A friend sent photos of a bullet he dug at a valid location. Several more of this same type bullet has come from the area as well as good valid minies. I have a bullet very similar dug from a different site. Mine was dug by a very reliable digger and in a good location. The bullets have a unique color patina with a very flat nose. They fit the size of the MM-589 but not the profile of the grooves (MM photos are old and not the best). The bullet in my collection appears to have ground action which reduced the upward slant and crispness of the grooves also. The circumference of the nose shows silver/grey color and loss of patina giving the appearance of freshly poured lead. The measurements are (mine) .582 x .963 with a cavity depth of .409. The other has a measurement of .376 x .963 and a cavity depth of .378. A different reference book lists this bullet as well as one being on a site for sale. I believe this to be a very valid ACW period bullet and need input from the experts. Pro or Con I appreciate any and all thoughts, knowledge, and validity of this bullet. Okay "Ready, Aim, Fire." Going to have to post the pics in two posts it won't accept the kb or number.  
Well I will have to try to send this and then the pics, not letting this thing post.
 ???
I am assuming that the diameter of the second bullet is .576 and not .376 with a cavity depth of .378. :)

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 06:12:53 PM »
Tom, that is correct, I spent several hours trying to send that post and it wouldn't go and I had to keep retyping. The second bullet is measures .576 x .903. Thanks for spotting the typo.

Thanks,
Michael

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 07:32:47 PM »
Michael,
To me, #1 looks like a typical Confederate nose cast three ringer.
I am probably wrong about #2 but, to me it looks like a modern bullet for .58 muzzle loaders. As I said, I am probably wrong and the modern .58 three ringers that I have seen could be copies of a  Civil War period original.
Tom

ETEX

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 08:12:59 PM »
Tom, this is one of the reasons I am soliciting all the input I can get on the 2nd bullet. They have been found in areas new black powder bullets should not be found and with and at the same depth as ACW period 3 ringers. I would like as many peoples input as possible. I had the same thought Tom but I have seen a couple now from different locations and from very reputable diggers.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Looks like it's from a Lyman mould to me.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 07:53:14 AM »
I vote for modern.

ETEX

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Jim, thanks for your input. I have received several emails with the same response.

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 02:31:27 AM »
I would vote that the second one is modern. Was it found in Georgia or Tennessee?