Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Reproduction Burnside Cartridges Warning....  (Read 8705 times)

acwbullets

• Email
Reproduction Burnside Cartridges Warning....
« on: September 09, 2011, 01:40:06 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the influx of early reproduction Burnside cartridges on the market? I am not sure, but they may be early SS firearms or Dixie Gun Works swaged/drawn brass casings. The key is that the bottom isn't nicely rounded inward like the originals.

Pete George

• Email
Re: Reproduction Burnside Cartridges Warning....
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 01:01:14 PM »
  I mistakenly bought some reproduction Burnside cartridges, approximately 20-something years ago.  A clue that mine are repro:
The inside of a civil war Burnside cartridge's lip has a wide "valley" which corresponds to the wide "ridge" on the lip's exterior.  My old Repro has the exterior ridge but no valley on the lip's inside.  In other words, my Repro cartridge's interior looks like the interior of a plain-walled pipe, or the interior of a Spencer cartridge. 

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 02:22:03 PM by Pete George »

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 07:17:13 AM »
       Pete,      is it possible to post a picture or two showing the difference ??   Thanks,   David

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:52:39 AM »
Watch for other brass cartridge cases also.  I know that someone makes Maynard cases also.  The difference between the old and new is that the original cases were drawn and the repros are turned.