Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: WOW !!  (Read 9424 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
WOW !!
« on: September 07, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »
        I just recieved a copy of a new Civil War book that should be of interest to everyone here on this forum. It's right up our alley....
     The title is "  Civil War Ordnance, an Introduction'. It was written by Mr Robert Gregory. Published by Potomac Press.   Aprox. cost is $ 50. 
       The first thing you notice is the weight of this book !!  There are aprox. 350 pages, thousands of photographs. It is beautifully bound also. Very impressive.
     What Mr. Gregory accomplished here was to put together an ' introduction' to the whole ordnance department, of both Union and Confederates. There is a chapter showing the inner workings of the departments, with many forms and dispatches printed. Sounds boring - but it isn't.  He chose supply side type dispatches and I found it interesting how stores were moved around 160 years ago.
    For you lead- heads he shows original packaging of bullets \ cartridges, the weapons that fired them and the wood crates that shipped them, in multiple chapters. Plenty of information here.
   For the iron-heads, he delves into artillery shells, fuzes, implimints and shipping crates, very nicely done. Mr Gregory fills in alot of information that has slipped through the cracks in other books, because it is not specific to the exact subject matter

This book was not intended to be a reference book. But the title implies it is an introduction type book. I say it is far better than that and any advanced collector, especially you folks on the forum, will all find this a fascinating read and a wonderful book to add to your collection. It will take me a very long time to go through this book chapter by chapter. It is chock full of interesting information presented in a 'good read' type of way. Get it - and you will agree I'm sure.
      Mr Gregory [ Bob ] can be reached at  walkdontrun@tds.net

Garret

• Email
Re: WOW !!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:29:31 AM »
I looked on Amazon, it's not there.  Is it only available through Mr. Gregory?
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »
Here it is at Barnes and Noble:
     http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/civil-war-ordnance-potomac-publishing-co/1101377094
Interesting they don't even have the authors name.  Some more info and a picture of it at:
     http://books.google.com/books/about/Civil_War_Ordnance.html?id=Q8OZZwEACAAJ
All Google has for the author is:
     The author is a collector and has had a life-long interest in the Civil War. He has written several articles.
but no name.   But Mr. Gregory's name is on the cover.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:43:05 PM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 07:05:09 AM »
     Did anybody pick up this book ??  I'd like to hear your comments, I think it is one to add to any body's collection....

Jack Wells

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:46:41 AM »
Tried three(3) "Books a Million",all have it listed as released on first of Sept. but no one has it.,discontinued. Plus I have ,have e-mailed the author at address Dave gave twice,and no reply ,no reply as of yet,hope you-all are having better luck than me.
Jack
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.

Jack Wells

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:53:04 AM »
Forgot to add to my last post I had previously tried two(2) Barns & Nobles with the same word for word answer: "Released Sept,discontinued"
Jack
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.

misipirelichtr

• Email
Try this link to order the book
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 07:05:14 AM »
    I see Nick from Army of Tennessee relics is selling it on his website too....

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Ugh
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 03:37:09 PM »
I finally got to scan through a copy of this book.  It is indeed an impressive volume of ordnance related information and extremely well illustrated.  Having said that, I did only get to do a quick scan.  One thing did catch my eye though.  In the small arms section, one of the first illustrations includes a cross-section of a CS Gardner bullet... wait for it... yes, showing how the insert was placed!  :'(  :'(  :'(    I thought we put this theory to bed many years ago.  And a mistake this bad does cause one to wonder about the rest of the content. 

PIA

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 12:24:53 PM »
Received the book last week.  Had overlooked the Gardner lead insert thing at first glance, but did notice that the authur still refers to MM#99 as a .36 Remington teardrop.  Thought we were now calling them .36 St. Louis Arsenal teardrops.  Regardless, I am enjoying the book VERY much.  Love all of the pictures and info.
Best regards,
Gary