Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Parrott Rifles  (Read 3355 times)

24thMichigan

Parrott Rifles
« on: July 25, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »
Hello everyone.  I recollect seeing a listing of Civil War artillery with serial numbers, history, locations etc., but can't find it now.  I am attempting to trace these two 30 pounder Parrott Rifles.  Can anyone help?  Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:08:26 PM by CarlS »

24thMichigan

Re: Parrott Rifles
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »
Second photo:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:08:42 PM by CarlS »

24thMichigan

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 01:23:29 PM »
Third photo:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:08:56 PM by CarlS »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 02:29:32 PM »
I think the list you are recalling is the list of Surviving Artillery started by the late Wayne Stark, but now kept by someone who didn't learn the concept of sharing in kindergarten -- hence he keeps it as his personal property and answers inquiries infrequently when he feels like it (which is to say never when I have asked a well intentioned question)  That is why he doesn't know about the current location of my tubes (nor the couple dozen my more serious cannon collector friends' have).  Most of them are on the list (but not all -- eat your heart out list horder) but the location is wrong.  Too bad the list is getting worse under his stewardship but its 100% his fault.

I have an old printed copy of it (which is to say the only means of searching it is to do so painstakingly by emike power).  Most of the tubes that are in public places are still at those locations like presumably these 30pdrs.  The list has the type, size and serial #s if available by present location.  It doesn't tell the wartime history of the guns.  I think you know where these 30pdr Parrott rifles are now, and so you will want to do a different type of sleuthing to find where they were in the Civil War.

My understanding is the US Navy kept good records of the cannons aboard its ships every 6 months.  Perhaps the ORs (which are searchable) might have reference to these tubes if they weren't on a ship ever.

Good luck,

Mike

PS:  Did you ask the caretaker at the location?  Sometimes they have info like this.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 03:08:00 PM »
Nice guns.  Still have good rifling so I'd say it is good reasoning that they never sat in siege somewhere like Vicksburg.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:09:11 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

24thMichigan

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Very selfish of that individual who has the list.  They have been in the same spot for my 60+ years and probably were placed there much farther back, after the end of the war.  Someone is caring for them well.  I will contact some local historians and see if they have any more info.  Funny that they have stacks of plaster 12-pounder balls on display with them....wrong ammo!  LOL