Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: TT-136  (Read 12447 times)

ETEX

TT-136
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »
There is a TT-136 listed on eBay at this time and this is interesting bullet. I have one in my collection I purchased from Dean Thomas and I thought this bullet would have been in RBTRF 4 and it may be but I can't seem to find it. Dean didn't have a dig location on the bullet and I am curious of known dig sites for this bullet and is it associated as a CS bullet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300523091694&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:03:22 PM by ETEX »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: TT-136
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »
Saw it.  Whoever found you that one you got for so much less was a really swell guy!

That seller used to be on the old forum.  We have not invited him to join here simply because I forgot who he is, but I think Danny knows and if so you can reach out to him directly.  I think I remember him being a Georgia digger.

The one in my collection was recovered by Terry Waxham, another former forum member we need to invite, near his home.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »
picture

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:16:52 PM »
Given the eBay name, it appears that he is registered on our forum.  I assume he'll speak up when he has a chance to read this.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »
Coincidental Carl -- Michael & I know our "69 caliber" and he's from Texas, not the same fellow as "69 Caliber" on the old forum.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 09:38:06 AM »
I reached out to the fellow and asked him to join our merry band

coonboy

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 09:59:59 PM »
I dug several of the TT-136's in the 1980's just behind our home at Crumps Hill in North Louisiana. I remember when Jim and Dean came by our museum  several years ago, I still had five. I think Dean may have photographed them as he was going over the others. I can't remember if he  bought one of them or not. All the TT-136's I found around our home was in or  near rifle pits that DeBrays Texas troops had dug.   coonboy
Terry

ETEX

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 01:43:52 PM »
Welcome to the new forum Terry. I appreciate the info on the TT-136 and especially the troop association. I have been wanting to talk to you but lost your email address. If you wouldn't mind can you send me your email address.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »
Hey Terry, glad you're on the forum, you're valuable knowledge & experiences will be great contributions to this forum.  I sent you an email on Sun., hopefully you got it.  Shoot me a line sometime.  Talk to you later.

R. J.

.69caliber

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 03:40:08 PM »
Thanks, emike for letting me know about the new forum.  Been hoping to see it back.
I had the T&T136 posted on Ebay.  Glad it didn't sell.  I've had it for 25+ years.  Got it from John Sexton at Stone Mountain Relics back in the early '80s.  The info I got from John was that it had been found in a Louisiana camp on Skidaway Island here in Georgia.  I posted it on the old Forum.  But, got no new info and very little response.

I was also surprised that it didn't show up in RB-R4 as the T&T handbook was the only place I had seen one listed.

After listing it on Ebay, I received an email from the finder.  Very interesting info and a great relic hunting story.  He said I could pass on the information.  So, maybe this will be of interest to others.
Here is a transcript of the emails I received from the finder:

"Dear .69caliber,

I recognize this bullet and felt compelled to comment since my hunting partner and I were the ones who found this camp on Skidaway Island in March of 1983. This camp was from the 4th Louisiana Battalion who were there from December 1861 to about March of 1862. We uncovered a fair number of these bullets and lesser amounts of some different looking 3-ringers. We also found a large number of Madison Infantry buttons and Louisiana locals, a few frame buckles and a rectangular Louisians pelican plate among other things such as coins, etc. We had neither one seen this bullet before and the reference books available then showed nothing like it. We both had a fair number of these 2-ringers and sold off the excess to collectors. I've never seen this bullet anywhere else since that time and this is the first time I've seen it on the market. My buddy was from Decatur, GA and was a friend of John Sexton's so I know how this got to Stone Mountain Relics. Thanks for listening.

Roger S. Durham

Dear .69caliber,

Don:  The fellow I hunted with was Tom Dale and he was a police officer for the city of Decatur.  Sadly, he passed away some years back. I lived down on the coast in Bryan and Liberty counties over the years and Tom used to come down and we'd hunt.  John Sexton joined us on occasion.  I know what you mean about that bullet.  I have never seen any others out there on the market until yours turned up.  The 4th Louisiana was composed largely of dock workers and longshoremen from New Orleans and the surrounding vicinity and were a pretty "rough and tumble" bunch.  When they initially arrived in the Savannah area they were camped close to town and apparently got into trouble and made a nuisance of themselves to the point that they were sent to Skidaway Island because it was as far away from town as they could put them.  COL Edward C. Anderson comments about their reputation in his dairy.  So, that's what they were doing way out there."

PS,
Glad to be back.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:40:59 PM by .69caliber »

gflower

Re: TT-136 A Very Small World
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »
Enjoying reading the post about this rare bullet. Then a blast from the past. My father and I use to hunt with Roger Durham when I was much much younger when he was living in Liberty County Ga. He is a great researcher and a darn good relic hunter. The last time I saw him he was unloading a cannon at the Olustee Battlefield when I was in college (many moons ago). Gary

Tom Stelma

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 06:12:57 PM »
Hello,

Being rather new as in today to this forum that bullet in question till now has been found in Louisiana and in the area of the Fourth Louisiana Battalion  troop camp on Skidaway Island near Savannah, Georgia which I now believe to be a place of refinement. Terry I did not know where in Louisiana they were found but now I have an approximate location and thanks to the old 69-caliber person for the S. Ga. information.

This seems like a pretty good operation going on here. ;D

Tom Stelma

ETEX

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »
Tom, It's great seeing you back in circulation. I can count on some excellent information on numerous ACW period subjects. Glad your on the forum.

Bill Ewing

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 10:05:34 PM »
I must be slipping to let that one go.  Then again, this has not been a very good year and last year was not much better.

Bill

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Bill, but it is good to see one of the biggest leadheads on this forum. 

Welcome home!