Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Projectile Question - Vicksburg Military Park  (Read 3409 times)

callicles

• Email
Projectile Question - Vicksburg Military Park
« on: July 03, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
I was at the VNMP museum the other day and noticed this cut in half projectile displayed behind glass.  It was not identified but I think it is a 12-pounder.

Question #1: Is this this an example of the later-made shells (after the CS stopped manufacturing shells for Bormann fuse)?

Question #2:  Aren't the walls too thick to operate effectively with case-shot?  I mean to ask whether the small amount of powder used in case shot would have been enough to fracture the thick walls in this specimen?

Thanks!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Projectile Question - Vicksburg Military Park
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
The fuze packs are modern repros so I wonder if the half shell is a modern one too.  Hard for me to see exactly, but the cutaway fuse adapter looks like one of those Paulsen Bros modern ones for reenactor use.  24thMichigan has/had some of them and would know better.

The balls look like they were added and just set in the cavity.  I agree about the wall thickness of the shell.

All in all a display that could be improved upon.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »
You beat me too it, I'm not an expert but I too believe the balls are added for display effect.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 11:33:41 AM »
I'm just echoing the other two but there is nothing real looking about that shell half.  You'd think they'd have a real shell they could use.  Would even be better if they had a real half shell naturally sectioned.  They used to have a small artillery display that had some neat shells and frags in it. 
Best,
Carl

mccaul

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 04:29:47 PM »
They have a duplicate example at Tredegar and it is a modern reproduction which also has too thick of a wall for a case shot projectile.

24thMichigan

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 11:57:50 AM »
I can't tell from that photo, but here are Paulson Brothers reproduction spherical shell fuses for comparison.