Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Thomas S. Dickey, Sr. (1925 - 1987) Atlanta, Ga.  (Read 18684 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Thomas S. Dickey, Sr. (1925 - 1987) Atlanta, Ga.
« on: August 17, 2011, 10:41:04 AM »
I did not know Mr. Dickey but he is a pioneer, whose legend will continue to live on and teach new collectors and veteran collector alike.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:45:29 AM by speedenforcer »
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

coonboy

Re: Thomas S. Dickey, Sr. (1925 - 1987)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:26:09 PM »
Tom was my friend, and I had the opportunity to hunt with him at Monnets Ferry and Double Bridges, La several times in 1973. His collection was unbelievable and his friendship was unsurpassed . I still have some of the shells he dug at Monnets Ferry. Another great friend Jack Wells introduced me to Tom in 1972 at the National Guard Armory in Fredricksburg, Va.              Coon Boy
Terry

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Thomas S. Dickey, Sr. (1925 - 1987)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:23:44 PM »
On the parent site, we have a page of links and the 4th and 5th one down are from Tom's nephew's documentary about Tom. 

http://www.bulletandshell.com/Stuff/Video.htm

I got the complete CD from Chris for the cost of postage (from France) and it is worth getting.

http://bombsinthebasement.blogspot.com/2008/02/at-last-war-under-pine-straw-on-dvd.html

PS: Carl, the 3rd link down on our video page is a dead one and can be deleted which probably is just fine by you!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Thomas S. Dickey, Sr. (1925 - 1987) Atlanta, Ga.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:31:21 PM »
Here is a picture of Tom (and me) and his collection in March 1987; shortly before he passed on December 8, 1987.  Incredibly there is a good bit you can't see.   He was about as nice a fellow as you'll ever meet and incredibly passionate about the hobby.  I've always thought how excited he would have gotten regarding some of the great finds that have happened since then.

Much of this along with Beverly DuBose's collection is in the Atlanta History Center now and if you ever get the chance it's well worth the visit.

For more great images of Tom and his collection, see Jack Melton's web site page dedicated to Tom:
      http://www.civilwarartillery.com/dickey.htm
The thumbnails can be clicked on to bring up bigger images.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:02:57 PM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

callicles

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 01:42:50 AM »
CW,

This may be innapropriate, but when that picture was taken, did he/you know he was dying? I never knew him or met him, but I love the "Bombs in The Basement" documentary. I would have given anything to meet him, talk to him. He seems so healthy and in shape in that March picture.

Can you imagine what information he could dissiminate today with sites like this?  Such a loss!!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 12:06:32 AM »
Hello,

At that time no; he seemed quite healthy.  In fact if I recall correctly, he had been previously diagnosed with cancer and thought to have been succesfully treated for it.  But it came back with a vengence shortly afterward.  I didn't now him real well at that time.  He just seemed like a guy with an intense interest in his hobby and really enjoyed showing his collection to people and talking relics.  He could tell a good story.  Jack Melton had met Tom and arranged the visit for which I'm thankful.  I've often thought with the new found knowledge and many new discoveries since then that Tom would have really enjoyed the hobby more than ever if he had lived longer. 
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 12:36:25 AM »
Here is a picture of Tom with a fresh dig in his hand. 

It should be pretty obvious what battlefield area he had been hunting in!  I especially like the 3 big bolts securing the loop.

Rommack: Do you know if that tree behind him was hit by lightening or if a fellow digger got real mad that Tom found that <insert name you prefer to call this type shell here> shell in a spot he had just hunted?   ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:39:26 AM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

rommack

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »
Hey Carl  Sorry I'm so slow in replying I missed the posting of the Tom Dickey photo.  No the tree wasn't hit by lightning or a me digger.  Tom and I thought it was more likely the Preston shell had struck it and then buried itself in the ground at the base of the tree! (actually this tree was trashed
by Hurricane Betsy in 1965.)  You notice how happy Tom looks.  On the previous day's hunt 3 of us had found a Preston and Tom was the only one who didn't.  I have never seen a relic hunter that focused and moving at warp 3 speed.  Early the next morning was when Tom had found his shell, thus resulting in the picture.  Determination pays off.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »
Ronnie,

Amazing y'all could find them like that.  Very rare projectiles to be sure.  No doubt it made Tom feel good.  No one likes to be left out of the party!

Amazing how big and thick the woods look there now compared to then.
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »
Here is another one from Ronnie of Tom.   He must have worked hard for that Hotchkiss.   As Ronnie says Tom was focused on finding and collecting artillery as evidenced in this image.  I have to admit I've washed a few of the shells I've found in the hotel tub but I didn't wash them while I was in the tub!  :)

Best,
Carl