Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: John D Bartleson  (Read 13299 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
John D Bartleson
« on: October 14, 2016, 11:52:27 AM »
Good afternoon Doug and friends.

As colleagues, friends and fellow EOD Brethren I thought you should know and perhaps be willing to inform the Naval EOD Association, that today, Oct., 12th at 11:25a.m. my father and fellow EOD team member past away in Va. Beach due to several health complications (kidney failure, pneumonia and congestive heart failure).

As you know my dad was a 30 Yr Navy EOD Officer who spent several tours of duty at Indian Head, MD last serving as the Assistant EOD Tng Officer and was a Plank Owner at EODGRP 2, Ft. Story VA. 
Retiring in Dec. 1984, just 18 months after I joined the AF EOD Program, Dad served as the Navy EOD Association Historian for 10 years after his retirement and was also an active member of the Mason's, serving as the master of his lodge and raising to become a 32nd degree Mason.

As know my dad has made many contributions to EOD Community, authoring a 60 Series Civil War EOD Pub, serving as the first Navy EOD Exchange Officer to the British EOD School, as well as making contributions to the Artillery Magazine.  He will be greatly missed by his family, neighbors, community, and lodge brothers and I thought I should share with his EOD brothers and sisters. 

Would you be so kind to pass along to the NEOD Association and its members that may have had the pleasure serving our Nation w/ him?

-Dad's memorial service will be Sat., Oct., 29th at 3p.m. at the Willis Fentress Lodge, 1660 Providence Rd., Va. Beach, VA 23464.

Thanks in advance and all the best to you and your family.   Vr, "Bart"

John D. Bartleson III

Steve Phillips

• Email
Re: John D Bartleson
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 03:34:12 PM »
I'm sorry to hear of his passing. I think the first book I read on artillery was his or Tom's. the X-rays helped me over the years.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »
Rest In Peace my friend!!

alwion

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 06:22:12 PM »
Had several long talks with him, he will be missed

redbob

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 07:26:37 PM »
John was a man who never seemed to tire of answering my questions, regardless of how silly that they might seem and he never failed to go "above and beyond" when helping me. Rest in peace my friend and you will be sorely missed. A fair wind and a following sea.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:30:29 PM by redbob »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 12:10:07 AM »
It was sad news indeed to hear today of John's passing.  After many years of being involved in the area of artillery he still had a youthful enthusiasm when discussing or investigating some questions.  His connections spanned the globe and he very often seemed to know someone who had the answer when he uncommonly didn't.   The radiograph book he authored while in the Navy was my first artillery book.  I bought it while in high school and have often referred to it many times over the years.  He's never hesitated to answer an email or phone call to assist with some obscure question I've sent his way.  And of course as the readers of this forum know he was a prolific contributor exceeded only by Mike.    He is a friend and resource that will be missed. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 10:38:24 AM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

ETEX

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 10:03:59 AM »
Fair Winds and Following Seas shipmate

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 12:07:16 PM »
Jack Melton, at the request of John's family, asked to have John's obituary and memorial service information posted here for his friends and associates:
------
Known affectionately by his friends, neighbors, fellow Lodge brothers, and servicemen as “Bart” CWO 4 John Douglas Bartleson Jr, USN Retired, age 80 passed away peacefully on Wednesday, October 12th. He is survived by his wife Kay, daughter’s Ann, Pat and Lori, son’s John and Mike, five grandchildren and five great grandchildren. 

Born in Ft. Myers, FL. John was an avid outdoorsman and Eagle Scout in his youth.  Preferring fishing, swimming, and camping to book work, he enlisted in the Navy in 1954 as a diver and Mineman before transferring to Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD).  He married his high school sweet heart Judith Ann Corbitt in June 1956 who preceded him in death.   During his 30 year career, Bart made several contributions to the EOD Community, authoring a 60 Series Civil War Ordnance EOD publication, participating in the clearance of ordnance from the Suez Canal, serving as the first Navy EOD Exchange Officer to the British EOD School, and obtaining recognition as Navy’s Master Blaster for having the longest consecutive EOD service.  He is a Plank Owner of EODGRP 2, Ft. Story, VA where he retired in December 1984.
John enjoyed many hobbies and interests; he served as a Boy Scout Leader in Indian Head, Md.,designed and built furniture, served  as the Navy EOD Association Historian, and contributed to the Artilleryman Magazine to name a few. He married Kay Addison of Ft. Myer’s, FL in August 1990, and was an active member in his church.  John was raised a Master Mason in Perseverance, MD Lodge# 208 in 1962 and became an active and faithful brother of the Va. Lodge Willis V. Fentress# 296 in 1984 until his death. 

He will be greatly missed by his family, neighbors, community, lodge brothers and service members.  His memorial service will be held Sat., Oct. 29th at 3p.m. at the Willis Fentress Lodge, 6060 Providence Rd., Va. Beach, VA  23464.  In lieu of flowers donations may be sent to Willis V. Fentress Scholarship fund at the above address.
Best,
Carl

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »
Rest in peace, sir.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 04:50:21 PM »
Very sorry to hear that, thoughts and prayers are with he and his family.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 09:25:56 PM »
R.I.P., John. Prayers for his family.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 11:04:49 PM »
  Me and Bart's posts here at the B&S forum are a reflection of the many productive discussions we had on the subject of civil war artillery projectiles and fuzes. I will miss seeing his input here. It's a comfort to know he is now at well-earned rest. My prayers go forth for his family & friends' sakes.

God bless,
Pete

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 08:43:25 AM »
really hated to hear about Mr Bartleson. I've known his name since I started digging due to his book, which I used and still use. We appreciate his contribution to the artillery database and will miss his comments on the forum. So long Mr Bartleson, it was a pleasure to learn from you

Dr. Beach

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 03:19:10 PM »
He will indeed be missed by our Forum.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »
Sad to see this.  The forum here will not be quite the same.  Be at Peace Sir.