Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: THE MISSING LINCHPINS  (Read 9354 times)

coonboy

THE MISSING LINCHPINS
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:05:04 PM »
The attached photo is not of a recent find but a find that is documented in the official records (CSA Major J.L. Brents report of April 14, 1864)"Daniels Battery had to leave a gun and a howitzer in the hands of the enemy because the linchpins from the wheels were lost". Another account of the linchpins was written three days after the Battle of Pleasant Hill by  C.S. Lt. J.J. Wilson" The enemy was 300 yards from us and we were exposed to a heavy fire of artillery. Jim Wright had command of the two howitzer pieces and I the two rifle guns and at the first shot we fired we had a wheel  come off. In running through the woods the bushes pulled out the linchpins. I had to leave one of my guns on the field and Jim Wright had to leave one of his".These two cannons were the only two that the Confederacy lost at the Battle of Pleasant Hill. After finding the first linchpin I concentrated on this area for over a year and eventually found two more along with the items in the bottom right of photo which I think came off of a limber or the ammo wagon.The small cable wire that looped over on the linchpins was missing on all and was probably the reason they came out. Over the years I dug nearly 200 artillery shells from the ultra rare to the most common and while most would eventually reside in Chuck Jones, EMike, Mc Anneny's and state museum collections, I hung on to the linchpins. I realize this is a projectile forum but thought some one would enjoy reading this as it does relate to artillery. If anyone wants a copy of the three page article, pm me and I will send N/C.   coonboy
Terry

ETEX

Re: THE MISSING LINCHPINS
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:41:48 PM »
coonboy, I have been lucky enough to have seen these at your place. I love the display and the history behind them. I want to thank you for sharing that with the rest of the forum. We so often get wrapped up in our own little interest of the history and artifacts of the ACW, it's refreshing to see and hear different stories on actual events and relics.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »
I have seen them twice as well and they are a great story in a place filled with them, not to mention all the oral history terry has to share which is unbelievable.  Well worth the visit if anyone can do it.

Thanks for sharing, Terry, and feel free to share some of the other stories of pieces in your museum, your favorite hunts, etc!

Lt12pdr

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
How cool is that.I love it.The pin on the bottom right holds the worm in place under the carriage.Does it have a tab of metal sticking out from the center section[tube section] or is that broken off?

coonboy

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:04:26 PM »
Thanks, I am glad you enjoyed the post. That part had broken off.   Other items:    I found were  a lot of twist chain, fired and unfired friction primers and several wooden fuse 6lb caseshot balls. Daniels Battery (also known as Lamar Artillery) was on the field with Gen. Tom Green in his finest hour at Bayou Bourbeau Nov. 11, 1863 and were only a few miles away when Green was killed charging a Union Gun Boat at Blairs Landing in April 1864   coonboy
Terry

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 02:56:14 PM »
What an outstanding piece of history. To find something that was actually documented as being lost adds incredible history to the piece. these otherwise small artifacts actually played a more important role and probaby contributed to the outcome of the battle more than any musket or cs plate, an amazing find.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 05:53:38 PM »
I've been fortunate to have seen Terry's recovered Daniel's Battery linchpins display.  Terry did a great job with displaying those rare artifacts with the history included.  Thanks for sharing & hope y'all are handling that hot weather okay.

R. J.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 08:48:50 PM »

Terry,

Awesome relics with documentation. Nice detective work. Thanks for sharing.

Dave
Later,
Dave Slemmer