Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: John D Bartleson  (Read 13297 times)

Lamar

• Email
Re: John D Bartleson
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 09:01:20 PM »
I got a kick out of seeing John monitor information seeking threads until what he determined a satisfactory resolution had been achieved. He was a sponge for knowledge, and he will be missed.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 08:46:26 AM »
Whenever something profound occurs in my world it is now normal to wait for some time to respond.  The delay allows time to consider the event more clearly.  When Mike posted the message from Bart's son earlier this week the news was a shock.  Bart & I were friends but beyond that we were also distant family.  Kay discovered that years ago.  At one point we spoke at least weekly but that pace had fallen off as we both dealt with growing issues elsewhere in our lives.  Bart had numerous health issues and there had been some "near" events in the past, but his determination to continue and to be productive was always there.  There were thoughts I wanted  to share right away but finding the right words demanded some contemplation. 

Along with my card to the family (address provided to anyone sending sending me a PM) there was a letter.  Not wanting to share those words until the family received their copy meant delaying my comments herein.  The following is an excerpt from that letter.

"John (and Kay) have had a special place in my heart in the several years since we first became acquainted.  The many telcons and exchanges of research data gave Bart and I opportunities to discuss all kinds of things, but mostly things closest to him.  This was especially true of his early work with his graphics depicting projectiles, fuses, etc.  He was most generous in sharing information with me and I treasure his several CD’s that are now even more meaningful to me.  His digital imaging work grew to be masterful, and will remain as much a tribute to his many many contributions to our community of interest as does his early groundbreaking work with radiograph imaging.  This is all the more impressive when considering his vision issues. "

Bart's willingness to share his work speaks volumes for the man.  Selfless and generous to a fault, his interest was only to contribute to the world around us.

RIP Cuz.  You will be missed!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 08:48:05 AM by Selma Hunter »

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 01:01:49 PM »
Wonderful posting Selma, thank you for sharing.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 02:32:28 AM »
John's opinion on this Forum was always something I deeply respected.   John, may you rest in peace. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

gflower

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 06:37:58 PM »
Selma Hunter,
Well said and truly heartfelt. He was a true patriot and his posts and presence will be missed. RIP my families thoughts and prayers are with his family. The Flowers

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 08:17:58 PM »
So sorry to here of your loss. I pray that your family will be comforted in your time of grief.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

mccaul

• Email
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 12:14:20 PM »
Just returned from a trip to Europe and was sadden to learn about John's death.  I am sorry that I was not able to go to his memorial service.  He was a great man with a wealth of knowledge.  He surely will be missed.
Ed McCaul

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 12:31:06 AM »
I was looking at various forum statistics and noticed that even with John having left us a bit over a year ago he is still the #2 most prolific poster on this forum even posting more than I have.  His presence has been missed.
Best,
Carl

redbob

• Email
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 02:27:23 PM »
It was as if John knew that his days were numbered and he wanted to get as much of his knowledge out there as possible. I learned not to ask him a question unless I wanted a very indepth answer which I always appreciated.