Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Wanted: Detail photos of chiseled mold seam 12pdr  (Read 3821 times)

Nemo

• Email
Wanted: Detail photos of chiseled mold seam 12pdr
« on: August 04, 2016, 02:04:09 PM »
I am looking for some detailed, almost microscopic, photos of the chiseled port of the mold seam on a 12 Pdr ball. My reason: rewriting a portion of the Authentic Solid shot article that Peter George and I wrote that is here on the forum.

I sadly purchased a 12 LB ball that looked authentic till Pete showed me the error of my ways. I now intend to include his observations on why the ball was not authentic in the article . The ball showed file scrapings around the mold seam.

Hope someone can provide the above for me. if possible, photo should show the difference between my parallel striations of file and perpendicular striations of the chisel along the seam.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Wanted: Detail photos of chiseled mold seam 12pdr
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 08:18:05 AM »
Nemo:

I looked at a bunch of mint cannon balls this am and saw where some chiselling had taken place.  I will keep looking for an example of this at the mold seam of a CS ball, but here is a picture of some chisel scratches on the vent sprue at the "South Pole" of a CS 12pdr spherical shell.