Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Confederate Goliath, The Battle of Fort Fisher by Rod Gragg  (Read 5268 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
I am sure the Plumber, divedigger, Wilmington Mike, Pipe and other NC folks have read this book, but on a tip from a customer, I picked up a paperback copy for $3.  It, and some Melatonin, made the long flight home from India go by quickly and i heartily recommend it.  I did not know much about this significant battle, but i did know that Braxton Bragg was a lousy General.  now I have more facts to back that up...

relicrunner

Re: Confederate Goliath, The Battle of Fort Fisher by Rod Gragg
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 11:44:33 AM »
Some years ago, I read another great book on the Battle of Ft Fisher, can't remember the name, that was very insightful. I loaned it to a good friend relic collector and his dog ate it   :(.
Just finished "Guardian of Savannah" by Roger Durham.....the story of Ft. McAllister.....very fascinating with great information on the building of the fort, the many battles and the aftermath. Would/should be very interesting to all artillery folks

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:40:08 PM »
Ugh, I meant to leave this book with you today to read.

I think a couple forumites used to dig with Roger.  I talked to him about a camp he found on Hilton Head (where I was visiting my Dad this week) that now has a golf course fairway right through the middle of it :-(

Garret

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 11:18:23 PM »
I recently had a text conversation with Pipedreamer and we were discussing all the Fort Fisher relics on Nick Periut's site.  If you're a shell collector you have to be fascinated by that battle--the sheer tonnage of artillery that was heaped on it, the blunders by generals on both sides, the hand to hand combat, etc.  This battle had it all. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 08:48:51 AM »
In my opinion, Confederate Goliath is the best book on the subject of the battles of Fort Fisher.  It's a real page turner.  Rod Gragg is a great writer with the gift of flow and telling a story.  He should because he is a former newsman, back when news guys actually worked a beat and wrote their own material and such.  I'm good friends with Dr. Fonvielle and what I say about Gragg's book wouldn't hurt his feelings.  Fonvielle's work covers the entire campaign and has superior research behind it.  The Dr. is one of the best technical researchers I know of and he is very prolific with his writing. 

Glad you took the time to learn more about my favorite battle Mike.  ;)

gflower

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »
I would be one of those formites! Mike do you have his contact info.? G