Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Yal have a good time this weekend in Marietta  (Read 5528 times)

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
Yal have a good time this weekend in Marietta
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:51:03 AM »
Give us some good reports, please! I am sure Mike is already there hoovering up the nice ones.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Yal have a good time this weekend in Marietta
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:10:51 PM »
It's been a great show. More artillery than I can remember seeing in a long time.    Looking forward to tomorrow when all the table holders arrive.  Wish you could have been here Scott!
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »
We missed you Scott, but 69caliber, Skip, MBfromPB, Dave the Plumber, JSCARR, LAZouave, Jack Melton, Trader Sean, Abdula the Butcher, and Ed Jones were there.  There may have been others from the forum as well especially as I do not know as many of the local NGRHA members as Carl does (and certainly not by their screen names here).

Those of us who were there and could went out to dinner Friday night.

It was a very good show.  I sold more and bought less than I have in the past, but I still got some nice things.  Its always good to see folks and its a great trans shipment point too.

I got home at 12:30am this morning, and left most of the folks behind for Day 2.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:05:55 PM by emike123 »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Some pictures
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:34:20 PM »
This one is for Scott:

...and the rest are for John  who eMailed me about what all I acquired in my 2500 mile plus trek:

I got these 2 from a forum member who brought it to me.

...and I got this one from another forum member:

http://www.bulletandshell.com/Items/misc/item.php?id=00073

...and I got this plate from somebody who was swarmed by people so badly I couldn't stand it anymore so left him to the swarm poor fellow...

...and I picked up some other things on my trip...

They are a 3" Houston Read, prototype James bolt (among other things it is flat at the bottom of the birdcage openings or arches), and the Britten with the Preston fuse.

30pdr Read from a guy who lives near my parents and is moving onto a boat with no place for these types of things.  

24pdr Bormann from a guy who found it in a storage unit full of books he bought

12pdr CS ball with late war slotted fuse adapter was found in Franklin, TN

Not pictured are a 3.3" Archer "prototype" bolt picked up en route and a 4.4" Schenkl shell acquired at the show.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:12:44 PM by emike123 »

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:37:37 AM »
Thanks for sharing those pics. Great stuff. I would love to see pics of the Archer and Schenkl as well.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »
Here you go, Scott.  The new acquisition from my trip is the 3.3" one on the right.  The fellow who owned it died a while ago but I had seen it when he was still alive and he said it was from Shiloh.

Carl has the 4.4" Schenkl so he'll have to post that picture.  The one I have here that I got a couple years back is packed away  :'(

Garret

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »
Mike, just a quick question about the Schenkl 4.4.  If you held it next to a 4.5 are there any noticeable differences?  This refers to the long 4.4 and not the football shaped 4.4. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »
Hey Garret:

The 4.4-inch I got (which Carl will be posting for sale on the commercial part of our site shortly) is the football shaped type so it is clearly different from other Schenkls.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 10:38:36 PM »
Yeah, I was asking about the 4.4 long since it is so close in size to the 4.5 and I've never seen them side by side before. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain