Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Chuck Jones  (Read 5376 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
Chuck Jones
« on: August 07, 2011, 12:42:27 AM »
     I recieved multiple emails about Mr. Jones passing, plus read it here. I never had the pleasure of knowing him. We might have met in passing, but I do not think I ever shook his hand, unfortunately.
    With that said, when I got the emails, I went right to his book, opened it and read the back page about his life. Definately one of the greatest generation. I wish I got to know him........
       Does anybody that visisted with him have photo's of his collection they could post ??  I suppose it was all back in the day of 35 milimeter, but I am sure we would all love to see it, if possible.       
   Thank you Mr Jones for all you did to preserve and advance the knowledge of Civil War fuzes and artillery                   David Kornely

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Chuck Jones
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:25:22 PM »
David,
     Chuck's book probably contains 85 % of his collection, however  I don't have a photo of his displays.
I first met Chuck in the early 80s when he phoned me and wanted to see my collection.
     We sat and chatted for a cople of hours and he did take some photos of my fuse/fuze collection.
      As he was leaving I asked if he would sell me a copy of his book when published.
      Many years past and I had forgotten about our meeting when one day his book arrived in the mail, autographed with his thanks and no bill.
      He never did take my check.
      Now, unfortunately his collection is scattered to the four winds, including some of my English fuzes brought back from the UK in 75.
     Chuck's fuze book has really ended any future attempts to improve it.
Regards,
John

mccaul

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 03:24:18 PM »
I visited Chuck a couple of times and was able to see his extensive collection before he sold it.  Did not take any photographs of it but the vast majority of his collection is pictured in his book.  Was able to interview him about his experiences in WW II and tried to get the interview published but the magazine Military History was not interested.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
Chuck was awarded the  Silver and Bronze Stars, how sad that a military magazine was not interested.  How soon we forget WWI and II.  Korea has been forgotten already, along with Vietnam, somolia, Bosnia; soon it will be Iraq then Afganistan.
Sadly,
John
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:00:19 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 04:47:04 PM »
I've got some pictures from my visit but it will take some time to dig them up and scan them in.  They were taken at a time when digital cameras were only on Star Trek!  My belongings are currently packed as I'm moving.

I also find it surprising that somone like Chuck would not have been of enough interest for the magazine.  In addition to his stars and other accomidations, he landed at Omaha beach and was in a number of well known battles plus was shot in the shoulder by a German machine gun.  He also worked with the Smithsonian as a Military advisor of some sort.  It would sure seem a magazine story could be found there somewhere!  :)

It does seem like the next war seems to blur the memories of the wars before it.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:39:55 PM »
Carl,
   Question for you.   Why is the word "camera" underlined twice?
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 08:11:45 PM »
John,

I don't know as it's not underlined in my view.  My guess is that your browser or some installed toolbar IDs that word and has made it a link to take you to some web page for more info on "camera".  Have you tried clicking on it?
Best,
Carl

Jack Wells

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »
   John,not underlined on my computer,when you were naming wars, you forgot Viet Nam,some times I wish I could.
   As I've stated previously,Chuck was a hero and a great collector,and will, be missed by one and all who knew him.As for photos of collections,I don't think any of us old timers ever did,sure wish I had.
  The next time you  see a vet,thank him for his service,it means a lot to them.
Respectfully
Jack
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 07:57:42 AM »
Carl,
    Must be my computer software placeing the double red lines under certain words, not all.  Yes they do take me to varied links.
Jack,
    Vietnam was too big and too long to type here. please see edit.
My best to all.
John