Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 18-Pounder solid shot?  (Read 3110 times)

24thMichigan

18-Pounder solid shot?
« on: May 31, 2016, 05:40:54 PM »
I would appreciate the expert's opinions on this.  Anyone ever seen a mold seam this pronounced on a solid shot?  The seam is consistent around the entire circumference.  Ball weighs 18 pounds exactly, diameter is 4.99 inches.  Some erosion but nothing major.  Thank you.

Pete George

• Email
Re: 18-Pounder solid shot?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 11:23:22 PM »
  Just trying to be helpful here, 24thMichigan. Pardon me for being blunt in this case. Actual cannonballs did not have a raised band anywhere on their body.  When you see that on a ball, it immediately and completely disqualifies the ball from being a cannonball. There's no need to bother measuring its diameter and weight. But  since you already gone to the effort of doing so, I'll add that the 4.99"-diameter is too small to be an 18-pounder, and the weight is too light to be an 18-pounder.
www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

I co-wrote a detailed educational article (including photos) on how to distinguish actual cannonballs from the many imposters.
http://www.pochefamily.org/books/SolidShotEssentialsMod.html 

Regards,
Pete

24thMichigan

Re: 18-Pounder solid shot?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 11:47:21 PM »
Thanks Pete, that is what I thought.  This was purchased very reasonably many years ago before I (somewhat) learned enough to know what I was looking at.  Always wondered what it was.  I have read your article....very helpful.  I just never encountered a seam like this after this one ball.  I have 24 pounder shell molds here and don't see how it would be possible for a band or seam such as this to occur in casting.  If I ever encounter an actual 18 pound shot, I will probably pass on it just out of caution because I have seen so many that were not the real deal.....one recently from a very reputable dealer who of course made good on it and that was an honest oversight.  Thanks again for your input.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:52:47 PM by 24thMichigan »