Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Is this a common base for a Read shell?  (Read 10442 times)

Aquachigger

• Email
Is this a common base for a Read shell?
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »
I found this Read not too long ago and the base is very different than others in my collection. Anything of interest to you guys or just run of the mill? Thanks for checking it out.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
Re: Is this a common base for a Read shell?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »
That is one heck of a big lathe dimple. Otherwise, looks typical to me, that is, extremely interesting example of Confederate casting.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:38:30 PM »
There appears to be a cross pattern cast into the iron base.  It seems I've seen one like that before but don't recall where.  The lathe dimple seems larger than normal as well.  I'd like to see a side shot of the shell as well.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:21:26 PM »
Aquachigger wrote:
> Anything of interest to you guys or just run of the mill?

Yes, it is an interesting one.  Definitely not run-of-the-mill.  I can tell from just looking at the base, it's a "Virginia Prototype" 3-inch Read, probably manufactured at Tredegar.

What battle did you dig it at?

Regards,
Pete

Aquachigger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 07:10:55 AM »
There appears to be a cross pattern cast into the iron base.  It seems I've seen one like that before but don't recall where.  The lathe dimple seems larger than normal as well.  I'd like to see a side shot of the shell as well.

Here is a side shot. It also has a wooden fuse adapter.  And Pete, pm on the way...

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »
Maybe it's my old tired eyes but that sure looks bigger than a 3 inch.  What is it's caliber and length?  That's a really nice find you have there.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 03:03:41 PM »
Hmmmm, it fits inside the hand, must be at least 3 inches in diameter wouldn't you say?
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »
Yes but seems closer to a 20 lber (i.e. 3.67) size to me but I don't know the size of Aquachigger's hands either!   ;D
Best,
Carl

Aquachigger

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 06:04:57 PM »
Yes but seems closer to a 20 lber (i.e. 3.67) size to me but I don't know the size of Aquachigger's hands either!   ;D

Shrinkage! You know I'm in the water a lot! Here is a different shot with better perspective  ;D

Aquachigger

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »
Okay... I took the calipers to it and it measures out at 2.9 inches. In diameter mind you. Think this is just a casting flaw or mold sprue? I just noticed it when I took the last picture.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 08:47:45 PM »
Diver,
   Is that a case shot filler plug we are looking at above the top band?
John
Carl,
   Touche'

John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 09:03:17 PM »
  Aquachigger wrote:
> Think this is just a casting flaw or mold sprue?

Aquachigger and John... that is the mold's pressure-release vent mark, or "mold-vent remnant."  (In addition to the mold's filler-hole, every large metal-casting mold needs to have a pressure-release vent.)

The mold's vent-hole of course must be located at the top of the mold ...or molten metal would pour out.  Therefore, the  location of the mold vent mark on a projectile tells you the "orientation" of the projectile during casting.

The mold vent mark on the side of the nose, midway between the bilateral mold-seams, is one of the main defining characteristics of the Virginia Prototype 3-inch Read shell.  It means the shell was laying on its side, at about a 15-degree angle during the casting process.  The predecessor of the 3" Read shell was the Mullane (a.k.a. "Tennessee Sabot") ...and many 3" Mullanes were also cast at a 15-degree angle.  The first version of 3" Read shells cast in Virginia continued using that casting orientation.

[This post was edited only to correct a typo error.]

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:15:54 PM by Pete George »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 09:51:28 PM »
Yes, I think I just got a lesson in perspective!  Nice Post.  And nice Read too!  It would look very nice on my shelf!
Best,
Carl

Aquachigger

• Email
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 07:05:33 AM »
 Aquachigger wrote:
> Think this is just a casting flaw or mold sprue?

Aquachigger and John... that is the mold's pressure-release vent mark, or "mold-vent remnant."  (In addition to the mold's filler-hole, every large metal-casting mold needs to have a pressure-release vent.)

The mold's vent-hole of course must be located at the top of the mold ...or molten metal would pour out.  Therefore, the  location of the mold vent mark on a projectile tells you the "orientation" of the projectile during casting.

The mold vent mark on the side of the nose, midway between the bilateral mold-seams, is one of the main defining characteristics of the Virginia Prototype 3-inch Read shell.  It means the shell was laying on its side, at about a 15-degree angle furing the casting process.  The predecessor of the 3" Read shell was the Mullane (a.k.a. "Tennessee Sabot") ...and many 3" Mullanes were also cast at a 15-degree angle.  The first version of 3" Read shells cast in Virginia continued using that casting orientation.

Regards,
Pete

Thanks for the info Pete. I guess every shell has a story to tell. I'm learning them little by little...

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 07:58:47 AM »
Pete,
   Thanks, as usual, for the great and prompt info.  Can you give us a reading reference for the manner in which the CS Reads were cast.  I find it difficult to locate that type of data. Would that have been too high a location for a case shot filling hole?
    Do you find it odd that no one seems to have any shells with the casting sprus(sp) still attached and left at a foundry site or nearby river or creek? Do you know of anyh collector having a Bormann casting machine?
Good post and replies.

As this site continues to grow with topics and members I would suggest some sort of topic index that would link directly to the topic lead posting, otherwise with time subjects will take forever to locate.
Best Regards,
John aka Bart