Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Bormann Fuse Compilation, BulletandShell.com (2011-2017)  (Read 34379 times)

alwion

• Email
Re: Bormann Fuse Compilation, BulletandShell.com (2011-2016)
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 05:24:46 PM »
Mike did they take any pictures on site before removal?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 08:18:49 PM »
Not that I am aware of, but you just bought something from the digger after we spoke so can ask him.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 04:34:30 PM »
What is the difference and reasons for using "mealed" powder, "rifled" powder and "musket" powder within the Borman fuse process?

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2016, 08:06:41 PM »
Bormann Fuse Powders.
        Meaaled powder is used in the timing mixture and is pressed into the horse shoe cavity to provide an accurate timing.of the fuse. Since the Bormann burns counter-clockwise it will reach the end of its selected burning at zero (o). At this point is needed the quick action of rifle powder to transfer the burn to the more powerful musket powder in the magazine. The magazine explodes and shoots flame down through the rifle powder placed into the leather washer central hole, trough the support plug into the shell explosive chamber  and it provides enough to break the case into an undetermined number of pieces  with drives on in the direction of trajectory.
Too much info.
Regards,
John
Somehow i have lost my original drawing of the Boltzmann fuse diagram,, kindly send me a copy of yours.  Thanks

callicles

• Email
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:19:47 PM by callicles »

callicles

• Email
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2016, 09:24:15 PM »
If the above post is too blurry, I think the below is the thread with your diagrams. Again, John, your diagrams are great!!  I may, when I get time, add your explanation of meal, rifle and musket powder into the text of the "Compilation" on this site. Regardless, it will go into my own notes.

http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=1225.0
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:37:42 PM by callicles »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 09:01:40 PM »
callicles,
   The htp copy is good and clear and certainly large enough.
I thought I had explained the 3 powders when I sent the drawing, anyway my thanks to recover my drawing.
a big trouble with MS is that if you accidentally hold down the shift key while working a set of folder , wonderful and unwanted things happen and that is probably where my drawing is hidden.
Kind Regards,
John

callicles

• Email
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2016, 05:43:08 PM »
John,

I added your explanation of "Bormann Fuse Powders" (Reply #33, above) into the main text of this post under "General Discussion."  I think it adds a lot to an understanding of the fuse. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:56:16 PM by callicles »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2016, 02:02:10 PM »
callicles,
  Can you send me the original jpeg I emailed to you?
Thanks,
Jojhn
jbart25@cox.net

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »
I thought I might as well show the Bormann Fuse here with this discussion.
Regards,
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 05:35:42 PM »
????????
John

Ripcon

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2016, 10:31:04 PM »
Excellent job, Callicles.
Now let's go find some more shells!

callicles

• Email
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2016, 11:08:41 PM »
Yes, my friend!  Me thinks you have secret spot?  I'm ready when you are, PM me when you're frogy  ;D

callicles

• Email
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2016, 11:14:52 PM »
I post below a 12-pound case-shot with a Confederate Bormann fuze (thanks Pete George for the identification). 

What I'm wondering is that in the above "Compilation," Mr. George stated in 2012 that, as far as is known,  "American-made Bormann fuzes had right- twist threading."

I found the shell a couple months ago, and have wondered about the strange bend or distortion noticeable at the bottom of the wrench slot.  It was found at an 1863 site, many months after the CSA's cease-and -desist order to stop using the fuze.  Could this be an example of a Confederate (or whichever side) trying to unscrew the Bormann fuze and leaving a "left-twist" bruise/distortion in an attempt to remove it unsuccessfully?  Or, could such distortion be related to normal fuze damage from being fired and impacting the ground? (It looks to be punched around the 5 or so second mark) 

Maybe someone gave up on removing it and just decided to use it as-is?  Any thoughts appreciated. I suspect I am just over thinking the whole thing, but perhaps it doesn't hurt to ask.

Callicles (The Village Idiot)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:20:37 AM by callicles »

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 12:29:29 PM »
  There are other examples of "Western Theater" Confederates using Bormann shells long after the stop-usage order, due to desperation caused by ammo supply shortages. I dug three or four fired CS 12-pounder Bormann shells among some Polygonal Cavity shells at an Atlanta Campaign site.  That discovery is what started me on the quest to reliably distinguish CS-made and US-made Bormann fuzes...as mentioned in the 1993 Dickey-&-George book.

On the fuze in your photos, the shallow end of the wrench slot is much narrower than normal. The narrowness appears to have been caused by impact when the fired shell struck the ground at high velocity. So, I suspect the other end of the slot being wider than normal is due to that same imapct.

If the extra wideness of the deep end was due to wrench-slippage, the shallow end of the slot should show at least "some" denting/tearing by the wrench on the slot's left side.

Also... unlike the damage we see on your fuze, when a Bormann fuze wrench "tears up" the slot it tends to do the most damage at the shallow end, where of course it has less of a grip in the slot than at the deep end. That effect is visible on FIVE of the fuzes in Emike's famous group-shot of nine variations of Bormann fuzes.

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:11:39 PM by Pete George »