Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: James Hotshot Base  (Read 10372 times)

callicles

• Email
Re: James Hotshot Base
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »
Redbob,

If yours looks more like the one on the right, it is a canister base, not hot-shot, and is rarer--or so I've been told. Another easy way to tell is to turn it over and look at the bottom. If there is a hole, it's a base, not hot-shot.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:50:39 AM by callicles »

redbob

• Email
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 01:18:49 PM »
Reference books seem to be all over the map with these bases, some say that the canister base is 3 3/4" high and some say 3 1/2" also; the hole in the bottom was referenced as to light the variant that had a Bormann fused shell attached to it-why would a base for a "hotshot" have a fused shell?  Also some appear to be deeper dished than others-the quest continues.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 03:23:33 PM »
I'm not sure about any hole in the base.  I've seen a few of these over the years and none (canister nor hotshot) had a hole in the top portion of the base.  Naturally there is a hole in the bottom portion that the upright posts sit on as with any Type-I James but there is no access from below to what sits on top.  There wouldn't be any reason to put a Bormann shell on such a base as it would be an expensive replacement for a wooden sabot.  If you used a Bormann shell and faced the fuse down toward the cannon charge over a hole it would likely go off as it was fired and fall into that unfriendly fire category.

It seems to me as well that the canister round is less common just based on what I've seen in collections, etc.
Best,
Carl

callicles

• Email
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 03:35:15 PM »
When I get home, I'll post mine up to see if it will help any.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 09:39:18 PM »
I have successfully misplaced my calipers.  Nonetheless, here is a hunk-of-junk I found several years ago and was told it was a James Canister Iron Base.  I just now slung up a tape measure against it and took pictures. The pictures are of the bottom of the base, and then a profile, then the top of the base, I can't remember in which order, as I'm too stupid with technology. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:10:53 PM by callicles »

callicles

• Email
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 09:52:48 PM »
I Cannot figure out how to describe each within the post.  The first picture in the above post is the bottom view; the last picture is the top.  The middle is a profile of the item.  Again, I've lost m,y calipers and hope the tape works well enough.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:55:28 PM by callicles »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 10:07:16 PM »
Callicles,

Thanks for posting and great find.

A couple hints, one of which answers your question, that you and others might find useful regarding image posting:
1) If you attach the images using the forum attachment link you can't post a comment with each image.  If you use PhotoBucket or some similar photo hosting service then you can add text between the links you post so they are like inline images.
2) When you take a picture to show an item, especially with a phone on default camera settings, if you have the subject item sitting on a light colored background with a significant amount of background visible the camera processor will tend to make the item darker.  If it is a shell or some other dark item then it'll be very dark and hard to see much detail.  So either get closer or zoom the camera to fill much of the frame with the shell so it'll adjust the brightness based on the shell color.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 06:44:14 AM »
3.8" canister base with original balls and top plate reconstructed to set atop it -- CansiterD made it and may have enough parts for 1 more!

6pdr "hot shot" base with 6pdr solid shot

12pdr "hot shot" base with solid shot

redbob

• Email
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 09:06:42 AM »
Without sounding like an ingrate (ungrateful person in the South) I am now convinced that I was sold a canister base and now back to the search for a "Hotshot" base. Thanks for all of the most helpful information.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 02:51:59 PM »
Thanks CarlS. Sorry for bad pictures and will take your advice.
Emike, those are wonderful pictures! I hate my pictures are bad, and I hate my base is in bad condition (flood land artifact).  But just looking at your pictures, I'm thinking mine is a base for a 6-pounder, not 3.8. But because my artifact is in such poor condition, I'm not sure I could get decent measurements even with calipers. It just seems from your pictures my base looks smaller. If they never made bases for 6-pounders, then I guess I'll have to go with 3.8.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 11:55:10 AM »
Under the classification of all's well that hopefully ends well, the dealer that sold me the canister base instead of the "Hotshot" base has realized his mistake; so the canister base is headed back to him and hopefully my "Hotshot" base is headed my way. In a way I'm a little disappointed, Canister D was going to make me a canister to fit the base-but it may very well still come to pass. Anyway, thanks for all of the great information.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:57:30 AM by redbob »

callicles

• Email
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »
Glad it worked out. I hope you post pictures of the hot-shot when it comes in.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 02:28:10 PM »
Damn, crazy stuff............