Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Rope throwing  (Read 4346 times)

pipedreamer65

• Email
Rope throwing
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:21:18 AM »
Just a question, does anyone know of a Civil War era rope/line throwing artillery projectile or device?  Specifically for use in bridging operations or for ship to shore tethering, etc..?  Someone asked me this last night and I had no idea.

Thanks

redbob

• Email
Re: Rope throwing
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:52:37 AM »
While not a cannon, Sharp's Carbines were converted (45.70 cartridges) and barrels shortened, for use as line throwing guns. When I first went to work for the Fire Department; we still had one and it would knock you on your rear end when you fired it.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 11:15:30 AM »
Hale Rockets were used for this purpose, but not sure when it started.  I have an 1870s era Harpers or similar newspaper cover showing sailors using them for that purpose.  Will try to remember to post it sometime.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:17:58 AM by emike123 »

relicrunner

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 12:14:16 PM »
I was at some show in the past couple of years that someone was telling us about some configuration of a Hotchkiss shell being used to "throw ropes" over a river. I believe Carl was in on the conversation.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 10:49:59 PM »
Yes, I vaguely remember that conversation but sadly don't recall the details.  It seems the fuse hole was reportedly fitted with wood that the rope was tied to or something similar.
Best,
Carl

Selma Hunter

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 07:39:27 AM »
There is an excellent cased example of a Sharps in a losely held collection in Mobile but it hasn't been viewed publically for many years.  It is in perfect condition.

They are out there.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 06:45:12 AM »
Sorry to be slow in replying.  I was in Ireland the past week and just got back last night.  Here is the newspaper cover I discussed above:

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 06:47:18 AM »
This book was written by "Barney" who is noted in the "Great Ones" section above.  There were some largely experimental line throwing guns and rockets prior to and during the Civil War, but these really took off in the 1870s.  If you would like to borrow this book, drop me an email.

Tex27

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 08:26:27 AM »
Back in the day we found quite a few Hotchkiss shells with their noses knocked out. It caught our attention because they were nearly all like that. We surmised that a wooden dowel was driven in the cavity with just this purpose in mind. Charles Harris' book  "Civil War Relics Of The Western Campaigns" later came out verifying this. You can see some great examples of this on pg 81 of his book.

If it uploads, here's a quick picture of 2 different size shells that have this 'modification':
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:29:07 AM by Tex27 »

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 07:35:24 AM »
Wow, great info guys!  I really appreciate it.  Interesting.