Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: "Stretchies"  (Read 8475 times)

Pete George

• Email
"Stretchies"
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
  In my discussion with Aquachigger in his "Unknown bullet and follow-up to my last post" thread, I said I believe he found a "stretchie" minie.  In that discussion, I also said I hoped some of the forum's bullet-collectors would post some photos of "stretchies" so Aquachigger could see what I meant.

I may have picked up the term "stretchie" from Emike, as a generic descriptive name for large-caliber bullets fired from a significantly smaller caliber Breechloader.  Somewhat surprisingly, it IS possible to load a .58-caliber minie or bullet into a .52-caliber Breechloader (for example, a .52 Sharps Carbine) ...and to fire it without bursting the weapon.  The proof is in the attached scan.  I do not currently own a "working" digital camera ...so I've done a computer-scan of three stretchies from the part of my collection that I call "interesting" fired bullets.

Each of the bullets/minies in the scan bears the 6-groove rifling marks of a .52 Sharps Carbine.  The precisely-measured diameter of each of them is "within a hair of" .520-inch.  (By the way, I measured them between the rifling grooves, to obtain the firearm's actual bore diameter.)

Minie at left:
Williams Regulation, .58-caliber
unfired diameter .570
present diameter .518
unfired length .978
fired length 1.00 (even with impact-damage shortening the nose), the conical base-cavity is now extremely deep

Bullet at center:
Williams "Cleaner" Type 3, .58-caliber
unfired diameter .574
current diameter .522
unfired length .851
fired length .960  (but please remember that normal-caliber firing caused Williams "Cleaner" bullets to get shorter, due to the base-disc compressing the zinc washer ...but this one got longer, due to use in a .52 Breechloader -- and the zinc washer is not compressed)

Bullet at right:
Richmond Lab Sharps (Confederate-made)
original diameter .560
current diameter .518
unfired length .950
fired length .980 - note the nose curvature's unusually abrupt turn to cylindrical shape, as if the bullet had been shaved-down.

I also own a 1.25-inch-long "stretchie" fired Gardner.  It too has 6-groove rifling marks.  It's "somewhere" in my house.  If I can find it, I'll scan it and post it.

Meanwhile, if any of you guys own a definite "stretchie," please post a photo of it, and (if possible) include its precise length and diameter size measurements.

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:04:56 AM by Pete George »

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Re: "Stretchies"
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:28:53 AM »
I first heard the term "stretchies" from Wendell Lang.

I too have several specimens, but am enjoying the beach and away from the bullets. 

As Pete states, most of these fit the Sharps perfectly.

Back to the beach for now................. ;D

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:27:51 PM »
Jim,

I think I'll come down to Surf City and kick some sand in your face. ;D
Later,
Dave Slemmer

Aquachigger

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 07:06:29 AM »
I appreciate you posting the information and pictures Pete. I'll dig through my box later and see if I can get a few of mine up. Thanks again...

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »
I don't have any stretchies in my collection but come on Mike you have a couple of great ones to photo and post. ;D