Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Chuck Jones Passes Away July 21, 2011  (Read 8115 times)

Jack Melton

Chuck Jones Passes Away July 21, 2011
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:01:48 AM »
To all,

Chuck Jones passed away on July 21 in Harrisonburg, VA.  He was the author of the book Artillery Fuses of the Civil War. If you would like to write a note to the family, go to www.kygers.com, view guestbook, click on Harrisonburg and then the July deaths.  Please forward to anyone you think would like to know about Chuck.

Jack

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Chuck Jones Passes Away July 21, 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:47:04 PM »
Thanks for posting.  Very sad news.  Chuck was a nice guy and a great friend of the hobby.  I was wondering a couple weeks ago how he was doing.  I'll never forget that time I went with you to see his collection.  I walked out knowing what the meaning of the word 'quality' was.  It was incredible.
Best,
Carl

Jack Wells

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:49:52 PM »
The U.S has  lost another Hero,as did the ACW collecting field. I knew Chuck for several decades,and always enjoyed trading and swapping war stories with him.Every time the 9th ID held a reunion here(Ft Bragg) he would always come by.
He will surely be missed by one and all "Hand Salute, Chuck RIP".
Respectfully
Jack
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.

coonboy

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »
Chuck was a very dear friend to me and my family and we visited with him and his wife at their home many times over the years. I was introduced to him by Jack Wells and John Graham in 1973 and we remained friends for nearly 40 years. He donated several military items he brought back from the war (WWII) to my sons military collection. He will be greatly missed. Thanks so very much for letting everyone in the forum know about his passing. Terry Waxham
Terry

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 12:23:22 PM »
Unfortunately I did not know Mr. Jones. But I have his book and I can tell he was a very smart and dedicated collector. My condolences to both his family and to his dear friends on this forum that will be missing him.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 07:29:58 AM »
I remember being at a show in Richmond about 25 years ago and Chuck had a fuse I wanted terribly bad. He wouldn't sell it to me outright but wanted to trade for stuff I didn't have. He went through the show and found what he wanted and found people that wanted what I had and worked out about a 5 way trade just so I could have that fuse. Very nice man.