Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Big Hotchkiss  (Read 10076 times)

redbob

• Email
Re: Big Hotchkiss
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 09:27:35 AM »
Having seen how Steve has taken care of Mr. Dickey's collection, I don't see how it could have a better steward ; if you are anywhere near it is well worth the trip to see Steve's collection and to enjoy some of his fine Southern hospitality.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 07:50:55 PM »
I agree with RebBob other than I can think of one other place that collection should have gone.   ;D
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 10:05:45 PM »
Steve,
Do you own the raised "D" 6.4 Schenkl on page 426 of Dickey and George with Tom's number 95 on it?  I have a 6.4 mid-bourulett shell similar to that one with the same raised D and a Navy Water cap fuse that I picked up in 2004.  I wonder how many of those shells had the same configuration, what the D stood for and why they used that fuse in that particular shell.  Pete do you know?
Garret
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 08:10:46 PM »
Hearsay,   I was told that the gunboat  shelling James Island earthworks with percussion fuzes were not firing inthesoft earth mounds  so they shifted to water cap time fuses.
Regards,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 08:12:38 PM »
That is where my adapter with the watercap fuse is from (see Carl's thread on the 300pdr Parrott).  It was put in a big Schenkl after the percussion fuses weren't working vs the sand fort.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 01:59:43 PM »
Thanks John and Mike.  That makes sense. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

Jeb

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 11:18:12 PM »
I'm hoping I can find some assistance in pricing a Hotchkiss she'll... It's a 4.4" without sabot or base cup... What would be a reasonable price to pay for this shell in good condition?
  This thread does have my curiosity piqued regarding larger Hotchkiss shells... I'm assuming it's rare to find a complete 5.1" (or larger) shell? Could you give me rough ballpark figures in case I come across one?
Thanking you in advance-
Jeb

Jack Bell

• Email
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 11:06:35 PM »
The rarity scale should be updated on a number of projectiles, particularly the 5.1 and 6.0 Hotchkiss shells.  Having decided to fill out my Navy projectile collection, I have had no luck on obtaining a 5.1 or 6.0-inch Hotchkiss.  Based on contacts I have made in the last 6 months, I would guess that the 5.1 is a rarity 9 (I know the collections where more than 10 are) and the 6.0 a rarity of 10 (I only know of less than a half dozen).

As for other projectiles such as the 15-inch Dahlgren shells, a large number have been recovered since the book was published.  The triple-fuzed 15s may still be a 10, but my guess it is a 9. However, the the cored shot (I only know of one - at the Citadel), the Dahlgren solid shot (of which none have been reported recovered - these are the ones without the "ears;" the Rodman solid shot are the ones with the "ears"), and the 15-inch Dahlgren case shot (which has the Bormann fuze) are definitely 10s.) More of the 7-inch James shells have been recovered in the last 13 years since the book was published, but only a few of  the 5.82s and 6.4s  I would guess that the 7s are a 7 and the 5.82 is an 8 and the 6.4 is a 9.

When I was preparing the book, I consulted with a large number of dealers and collectors on rarity gradings, and some opinions varied widely. We learn more every year, particularly when a number of new recoveries are reported.  This particularly happened with the 15-inch Dahlgren shells, at least a dozen of which were recovered from Charleston Harbor after 2003. On the 5.1 and 6.0 Hotchkiss shells, I may have been influenced by the finds at Roanoke Island, which have never filtered into the market, but do exist and have survived.

New type finds are always exciting. And there have been a fair number. I personally found an 8-inch Parrott case shot with the large Parrott fuze at the Mansfield Show several years ago.  And 5.82 and 7-inch tear-drop Read bolts have turned up. A 4.5 Dyer bolt showed up at the Mansfield Show the weekend my book debuted, and of course, it wasn't in the book except in the Missing In Action section.

Large holdings of some types of projectiles by either government museums or by some private collections, affect the rarity ratings , even though the projectiles may never come on the market.

Hopes this answers some of the questions you have on rarity ratings

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 11:12:11 PM »
Nicely said Jack.  Very good information for us to understand.  Thanks.
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 01:17:28 AM »
Thanks, Jack.  I, too, would like to add a large caliber Hotchkiss to my collection.  The biggest I have is a 4.2.   The 4.5's that I have seen haven't been in the best of condition.  I consult your book at least a couple of times a week for all sorts of information on the heavies. 

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 11:29:34 PM »
Jack, looong ago I dug a 4.5" Dyer Bolt at Chattanooga. Some 4.5" Hotchkiss were also dug at that spot. It was a wartime "artillery practice" range while the yankees held Chattanooga.

Regards,
Pete