Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Big Hotchkiss  (Read 10077 times)

Garret

• Email
Big Hotchkiss
« on: January 17, 2016, 05:48:44 PM »
Jack,
You have the 5.1 type I and type II shells at rarity 8 in your book but I haven't seen a 5.1 on dealer or auction websites anywhere for some time now.  In fact, if you check Harry Ridgeway's reference archive or Jack Milton's page you don't see a 5.1 or a 6 anywhere.   I've seen lots of 15" Dahlgrens (rarity 9s in both single and multi-fuse) and James Bolts (rarity 9s) in the last few years in abundance.   Are they, in fact, more rarer than you have them listed as?  I, too, would love to add a Hotchkiss over 4" to my collection. 
Garret
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Big Hotchkiss
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 06:39:44 PM »
I agree they are rare.  I've seen a few but not a lot.  I have one and there is at least one in the Old Court House Museum in Vicksburg.  I also  know of a few in other collections but not many.
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 10:59:44 PM »
Carl,
Would you be able to post a pic of your 5.1 if you get the chance, with a 3" Hotchkiss next to it for reference?  I've only seen the ones in Jack's book. 
Garret
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 10:41:33 AM »
Garret,

Yes, I'll get one but might be a day as it is packed away and we are buried with 1/2 inch of dangerous snow.   ;)  Mine is actually the 3 pieces separated; not complete.  But it is a very nice example.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 10:51:51 AM »
Mine is the exact one shown in D&G page 401.  It looks better in person so I will try to post a picture sometime.  Carl sweet talked me out of the one I had before that one.  These are rare to find complete.  I don't believe I have ever seen a complete 6in one offered for sale, only parts, and I do not have one myself.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 02:22:10 PM »
Carl, stay safe!  Mike, that 5.1 on page 401 is a killer!  Love the rifling on it.  Look forward to seeing the pics of both.  Thanks, gentlemen. 

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 12:39:30 PM »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 03:09:56 PM »
Hope you don't mind that I moved this discussion to the Artillery section so as not to bury Jack's request for the big Hotchkiss shells.

That sure is a nice one Mike has.  Has the added pluses of being the one in the D&G book and being a Tom Dickey shell with Tom's number on it.  The 103 is Tom's number for "Baker Louisiana School Ground".

Below are a few images of mine.  Sorry I forgot to put a 3-inch example in the view for reference.  I'll get one next chance.  As mentioned earlier mine is assembled parts.  The sabot is much out of round and wouldn't come close to fitting on the shell.  I considered straightening it but don't want to change how it was found as a relic and it might also crack up the nice white patina.  The image with the cup and nose assembled has the nose fully seated in the cup so it is probably an inch shorter, if I had to guess, than a dropped example would be.  What mine is missing is the anvil cap and slider for the fusing.  The base is unmarked.  But the iron is real good on both pieces and the sabot has a good bit of nice rifling.

Hotchkiss are just neat shells!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 11:22:18 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 10:03:52 PM »
  Carl, do you or Mike know where you 5.1" Hotchkiss in-3-pieces was dug? The reason I'm asking is, way back in the early 1980s I dug a 5.1" Hotchkiss in-3-pieces (all in the same hole) at Grand Gulf Mississippi, on a shell-hunting trip with Jim Nall. As scarce as that version of Hotchkiss is, it seems unlikely that more than one or two have been dug "in-3-pieces." So perhaps yours is the one I dug.

Regards,
Pete

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 10:32:22 PM »
It would have been nice for the shell to have come full circke, but the 3pcs were not dug together.  I remember getting the sabot at the Corner Drugstore in Vicksburg from Joe Gerache when he was winding things down.  The cup came from Dave the Plumber and the nose from some other person

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 11:22:40 PM »
What Mike said!  :)
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 12:03:52 AM »
  Oh well. Thanks for that info.  My find is out there somewhere.  As rare as the 5.1"-caliber is, perhaps somebody here will eventually come across its whereabouts.

Regards,
Pete

Garret

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 04:52:59 AM »
Thanks for sharing your 5.1's with the Forum Mike and Carl.  Fantastic shells.  I agree that Hotchkiss shells are cool.  I have a quick question that maybe one of you guys could answer.  I sometimes see former shells that Tom owned showing up on dealer websites (one recently was on Nick Periut's site).   How many of Tom's shells ended up in private collections after his passing?   Which shells ended up in the Atlanta History Museum and which didn't?   

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 08:01:38 AM »
After Tom died the family decided to give the collection to The Atlanta History Center. Tom did not want that to happen. He originally did but had changed his mind. The History Center did not pick up the collection. They immediately sold about a third of the collection to me after John Sexton, Tom's wife and son suggested that I would be the best one to buy it and would keep most of it intact. I don't think any other part of the collection has ever been sold although a few pieces may have disappeared from the collection. I picked up everything that I bought. The History Center did not do anything for over a year except turn off the heat and cooling and climate control. The projectiles started to deteriorate and many off them were still live. The History Center hired me to pick up the projectiles and unload and preserve them. It took me two years to finish with them. I picked up one load each trip and a month or so later I delivered the finished projectiles to the History Center. John Sexton wanted me to sell most of the 3 inch Hotchkiss shells that Tom had found so friends could buy one from Tom's collection. I did this and John sold them and those were the only shells to ever be sold from the collection after Tom died. I have never sold anymore of Tom's. I have kept the warlogs and all the rest of the collection. Dot Dickey gave me Toms display cases and stands. Visitors are welcome to come to my farm and see Tom's and my collection. Call 205-672-9310

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 09:02:40 AM »
Wow, thanks for the history and back story Steve.  I never knew most of that. 

I've seen a handful of projectiles over the years purported to come from Mr. Dickey's collection.  Never saw any proof.