Relic Discussion > Artillery

Unknown (for me) fuse in a shell fragmet. Any ideas?

(1/1)

Aquachigger:
Hey Everyone. I thought you guys might like seeing this. I recently found this shell fragment (ACW site) and it has a fuse that I have never run across. You guys have any idea what the fuse may be? Heck, I'm not even sure what kind of shell it is...

emike123:
Faint remnants of a Schenkl combination fuse.  That makes your shell a 3-inch Schenkl case shot.

Aquachigger:
Thanks e-mike! I've never found a combination fuse so didn't have a clue.

Pete George:
Aquachigger, just in case you don't already know:
  The Schenkl Combination fuze was made of a solder-like alloy, which is classed as a "soft" metal.  Therefore, very often, the external parts of that fuze got smashed off when the shell impacted on hard ground.

You will recognize the "circle of small holes" on your frag's smashed fuze-remnant by comparing it with the photos attached below.  The specimen in the photos is non-dug.  In the first photo, the screw-in Time-Setting Cap (which is seen in Emike's photo) is absent.  The second photo shows the Time-Setting cap in position to be screwed into the fuze's main body.

Regards,
Pete  

Aquachigger:
Thanks for taking the time to post the picture and information. Today I have learned something!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version