Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Charleston Show Jan. 16th and 17th  (Read 9169 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
Charleston Show Jan. 16th and 17th
« on: January 10, 2016, 10:54:31 AM »
who is going to the show next weekend ??  Should be a good one. 

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Charleston Show Jan. 16th and 17th
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »
Me! Me! Me!  Looking forward to relics, warm weather and seafood surrounded by historical places and good people! 

I'll be pulling a trailer and can pick up any cleaning or drilling needs.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:07:29 PM »
Several forumites plus a few nobler people at the Charleston Show tonight dining at the Four Seasons, Wadmalaw Island, SC  I am pretty sure CarlS is the camera shy photographer.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 09:55:51 PM »
I don't know if many remember me on here. I plan on getting more involved with posting again. My wife, 5 yoa son and myself arrived in Charleston this evening around 3:30 to attend the show. My good friend Dicky Ferry and his lovely wife are here also. I probably run into some of yall and not even know it. Yall have a good time, I sure will.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 06:55:34 PM »
I met relicrunner and carlS, real nice guys. It was good to put a face with a name. I hope to start attending some shows again, been away for several years. will try to catch the closer shows from time to time (Georgia, South Carolina) Carl Thankyou for the good deal on the half shell. It is obvious you were being very generous, and I sincerely appreciate it. I am very excited to get it added to my small, common, but proud collection.

relicrunner

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 10:03:36 AM »
Randy was being camera shy  :).....Austin made sure he was in  ;)

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 10:08:34 PM »
  The show ended two days ago. Attendees have had time enough to rest up. Now give us unfortunate stay-at-homes your show-reports, please.

Regards,
Pete

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 12:43:07 PM »
Sorry Pete.  My excuse is that I was swamped and that work got in the way and I've pretty much avoided my PC, etc.  Anyway, the show was pretty good I think.  I had a good show overall from a sales perspective.  I didn't buy anything at the show but did pick up a few things on the trip down.  There was a better than normal number of artillery items there.  But I didn't really see a good selection of bullets there but maybe there was and I missed them.  Someone else who attended might have a differing viewpoint as I didn't get around a lot so didn't pay close attention to the lead.  And I think the crowd was larger than in the past but of course there was the Republican debate on Thursday night and the Democrats on Sunday night and a big foot race in town that weekend.

Here is a fresh image of that Cochran discussed in another thread as it now has a new owner (not me or eMike).  We saw it in person and it has a very interesting fuse and base on it.  Also sold at the show by one of our forumites was a 6.4-inch CS Dahlgren without the sabot.  It has a nice unmarked water cap in it.  Also shown below is a recent acquisition of a 300-lber Parrott shell. RelicRunner took this image while it was at my table.  It drew lots of lookers and comments.  The sabotless shell next to it is a 200-lber and it looks small in comparison.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:53:13 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 12:45:58 PM »
....and the Parrotts:
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 09:23:17 PM »
Carl, that has got to be the nicest 300 pound Parrott I have ever seen--nice, smooth iron, a perfect fired sabot.  Was there ANY flaw to it?  And yes, I know I seem to be describing the Parrott like a woman....
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 11:52:34 AM »
It was a nice show. It had been years since I had been to one, and actually my very first Charleston show. If not for the Serious sinus infection I would have really enjoyed it  :'(. But I will be back next year and hopefully not having a killer headache the entire time. Hope to pick up several shells next time. ;)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 12:51:44 PM »
Neat thing about the picture Mike posted is there are 5 forumites and the widow of another in the image plus myself so a bit of the forum family there.   That has the song "We Are Family" by Sister Sledge bouncing around in my head.

SpeedEnforcer:  Thanks for the kind words.  As the banner on this page says we very much like to help fellow collectors out as much as we can.  Beautiful family and thanks for protecting the community.

Garret: Yes, that is a really nice one.  The sabot is incredibly good as it is not pulled anywhere and has great rifling.  And the iron equally nice with no flaws.  It must have been fired into Charleston and was an early recovery.  That is the one pictured in jack Bell's definitive book on heavy artillery.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:56:38 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 03:58:30 AM »
Carl,
I've admired that shell in Jack's book for some time.  I don't think I'll ever own one (but you never know) so I'm wondering--is it easy to lift and move?  Is it a multi-man job, or could one, buff person, do it? 
Garret
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 07:53:43 AM »
Good question and we were asked that a lot at the show.  As RelicRunner so accurately put it, it is easier than a cannon ball because it has an edge.  it is quite easy to wrap in a blanket and slide a hand truck under.  At 250 pounds the challenge becomes going up and down stairs.  When I picked it up we had a flight of stairs to bring it down.  Fortunately I have a heavy duty rope net that we could lay it on and multiple people could get around (thanks 'Cap and Ball' and 'RelicRunner') and get a good hold on the net so it wasn't too bad as it works out to a bit over 80 pounds each.  Once on a hand truck it is no problem to wheel around.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 04:09:01 PM »
Carl,   Who owns the Cochran now and Wat fusing does it have.
Regards,
John