Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Metal detecting find  (Read 10224 times)

Roberts89

Metal detecting find
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:02:44 PM »
Found a round type buckle (I think).  This was found on civil war grounds.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 02:41:23 PM by CarlS »

Roberts89

Re: Metal detecting find
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 02:57:13 PM »
Anybody have any idea what this might be? Has lead on the back side of it

Roberts89

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »
Dimensions

1.75 inch round

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »
 Although the object you found resembles a buckle or a horseharness rosette (it is shown in the photo below as being a rosette), it has been positively identified as an antique clock's pendulum weight.  The pendulum's shaft was shaped like a wooden board, and it fit into a rectangular tunnel in the rectangular raised area on the weight's back.  That's what seems to be visible on the back of your lead-filled disc.

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:25:27 PM by Pete George »

Roberts89

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »
So you think it's a piece to a clock? It seems to be brass.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 03:20:59 PM »
Looks like Pete has nailed it.  I thought it was a rosette myself on first looking.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 03:43:24 PM »
  Yes, Roberts89, it is a piece of an antique clock. You can still see larger clock pendulum weights on Grandfather clocks made today.  At 1.75" wide, yours was made for a "tabletop" or wall-mounted clock. Your pendulum weight's front is a thin shell made of stamped sheetbrass, so it would be shiny and attractive as part of the clock.  The brass shell was filled with lead-alloy solder in the back, so that the pendulum would have a significant amount of weight, which helps the clock's mechanism keep time more accurately.

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 03:44:31 PM by Pete George »

Roberts89

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 07:34:43 PM »
Thanks everyone. I have found a lot lately.. Found what appears to be napkin ring holders that are solid silver with the initials J R and symbols of a crown and lion and letter "z". Also found several 3 ring bullets and other types of bullets. My dad and I are new to all this but We have defiently found ourselves a hobby and it's a great way for a daughter and father to spend time together. :)

I wish I could get my iPhone to post pics on here but it always says there to larger :(

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 09:30:48 PM »
Congrats on all the finds.  It sounds like a good spot you have.  And very neat to be sharing that with your dad and daughter.  Great memories.

Yes, the iPhone will allow you to edit the image to crop and rotate it but I don't see where it will allow you to resize it to a smaller dimension and thus a smaller file size.  I usually size mine for the forum at 800 pixels wide which makes them just over 11 inches wide which will allow it to show on most monitors without scrolling horizontally.  Most computer monitors displays images at 72 pixels per inch. This means that a 3.8 megapixel image is going to measure about 32 inches wide by 24 inches tall when viewed on a typical monitor. That is pretty big! You can determine the display size of the image by dividing the horizontal and vertical pixels by 72.  That is one of the issues with these large megapixel cameras now.  They make images that are far too big for most things.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 11:15:00 PM »
  The markings you said are on your solid silver napkin rings sound like British silver hallmarks.  The "Lion Passant" (image of a walking lion) represents British-standard Sterling Silver.  The other markings can tell you what city it was made in, and what year.  If possible, post well-focused closeup photos of the markings, to enable us to correctly decipher them. The shape of the markings is extremely important for time-date interpretation.

Or, use a magnifying glass and then go here:
http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html

You'll notice the variations in the shape of the shield (or other "frame") which surrounds the emblems and letters in the hallmarkings.

Regards,
Pete

Roberts89

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 05:48:22 PM »
I will post pics soon. Or actually I'll have to email them to Carl.. (Hope he isn't getting aggravated with all my emails) lol

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 06:19:39 PM »
Decades back,  the late Jerry Wright of Colonial Heights dug what he thought was a pendulum from a grandfather's clock, he threw it aside but kept coming back to it.  He finally researched & it was a pendulum hausse, terribly rare to find as cannoneers hated to lose a piece of equipment that would render the gun ineffective.  He later found out exactly when it was lost & to which unit (Norfolk Blues).  A shot hit one of their cannons near the old Walnut Hill Plaza in Petersburg in 1864 & knocked it to smithereens including the pendulum hausse.

Roberts89

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 06:29:04 PM »
Very interesting story!! Hope I find out later I have a piece to a cannon lol.. It doesn't hurt to have hope!!

Roberts89

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 06:30:19 PM »
Here are the pics
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:30:28 PM by CarlS »

Roberts89

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 06:31:06 PM »
And this is the other one