Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Civil War tintype - assistance in identification requested  (Read 7772 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
Civil War tintype - assistance in identification requested
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:34:39 PM »
I am trying to determine if this tintype is a soldier from the Civil War period.  Unfortunately, Civil War photography is not my strong suit.  While it is heavily damaged, is there enough detail that you can identify the unifirm as Civil War vintage?  Hopefully the attachment will work - my first try at attachments!  Thanks in advance for your help

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:40:37 AM by CWArtillery »

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Civil War tintype - assistance in identification requested
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »
I looked at it real closely, and e-mailed it to my buddy who is an avid ambrotype/tintype/daguerotype collector and we both believe that he indeed is a civil war soldier. The photo is in extreme delicate condition. as you can see the emulsion is cracked and peeling away from the metal base. I really wouldnt handle it at all.  find somwhere to display it and leave it alone.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
definately CW... maybe even CS...
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:14:57 PM »
it's a non-regulation jacket and the stripes on the collar could be CS rank insignia. 

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:16:28 PM »
I would also get a real good close up digital image of it now before it flakes off any.  You can even get one of those graphic people to remove the cracks and let you see it cleaned up.  Nice image.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 02:41:22 AM »
It has Federal rank shoulder boards. Federal Artillery and Federal Cavalry jackets had striping on the collar, however this being a double breasted coat (higher rank), I aint sure, I do not know if the double breasted uniforms had the added striping on the collar or not. I do not ever recall seeing any that did.

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »
I'll add just a bit more information that I uncovered since the original posting.  This tintype, along with another of the same soldier, a painting of the soldier, a US Beltplate, and a set of lead knuckles were all included in a local estate sale.  The sale was held a couple of weeks ago, and I was able to give all items a good looksee.  Based on information provided from this forum, and a bit of research on the estate, I can offer the following.

The officer in the photo was Lt. John C. Hardy of Hoskin's Battery (Brookhaven Artillery), a unit that fought with distinction in the Confederate Army of Tennessee.  The tintype I posted was indeed heavily damaged, and in fact during the estate sale, it shattered to the point that it was for all practical purposes ruined.  Carl, if there is good news in this story, a high quality digital scan was made of the tintype before the auction began, so to some degree the image was preserved. 

I was able to secure the US Beltplate - it is right in every regard, and has "Hardy" carved on the lead back.  While there is no way to know it's origin, or if it was worn by Lt. Hardy, at least in my mind I am certain Lt. Hardy owned it during the CW - perhaps picking it up on a late war battlefield to replace his original belt plate.  I was very pleased to add a rememberance of a local Confederate officer to my collection.

Thanks to all that posted a note, either on the forum or via personal message.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »
ok if I am wrong sorry. I wasnt saying he was Federal, but it did have Federal along with Confeederate attributes.

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 03:14:34 PM »
I think you were right - US Military coat, altered for CS service.  Lt. Hardy's father was in the US Army, and I beleive fought in the Mexican War.  Might have been passed down from father to son, or the son wore the coat for a very early war photo before the Brookhaven Artillery shipped out.  Certainly no apologies needed!