Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Was A Shell...Now A Solid Shot  (Read 3706 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Was A Shell...Now A Solid Shot
« on: December 12, 2015, 06:23:20 PM »
Hello,

Anyone ever cleaned brick mortar out of a shell?  I've got a wood fused 12-lber that is possibly a polygonal but someone stuck a heavy wire into it and filled it with mortar to presumably make a weight out of it.  It is in good shape with a nice mold seam, etc. that would be a real nice shell if it didn't have that #$#&^# mortar in it.  Any experience or thoughts that might help me?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:01:19 AM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Was A Shell...Now A Solid Show
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 07:34:33 PM »
Carl, I would drill out all you can with a concrete drill, than pour in sulphuric acid to 'melt ' the concrete.  I haven't done this myself, but I am told the acid does not eat into the  cast iron unless you leave it in there, but it will eat up the concrete.  Wear protection !!

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 10:12:57 PM »
  Or, have it sawed in half, then chisel out the concrete.  I think the result would still be worth more than what you've currently got.

Regards,
Pete

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 10:46:57 PM »
David: I've also heard about using acid, although I though I heard muriatic acid, to remove it.  I've drilled what I can already which wasn't a lot due to the wire.  I started to try it but was worried that it might boil over or something and stain the outside.  It is a nice shell and I'd hate to mess it up.

Pete: You sound like Mike the chopper! 
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 11:12:43 PM »
I have tried the muriatic (same as hydrochloric) acid route and it doesn't work unless you want to do it 1,000 times repeatedly to get a dram of sand out each time while risking your clothing, etc.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 08:54:41 AM »
Carl,
    Clip off the wire and carefully drill out the center. Gentle taps with a maul might cause the cement to crack and become loose.  My advice about using acid is NOT.
Kind Regards,
John

24thMichigan

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 04:26:07 PM »
Some years ago Rick Burton had a shell I inquired about that he said was filled with concrete that he was trying to remove.  Never heard what happened with it.  You might want to contact him and see if/how he was successful.