Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Why you should be careful digging live artillery  (Read 4159 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Best,
Carl

divedigger

• Email
Re: Why you should be careful digging live artillery
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 07:21:57 PM »
Musta been a Tice fuze

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 08:53:04 PM »
Wow! Poor bastards. ;D
Later,
Dave Slemmer

alwion

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 09:18:50 AM »
Do you actually think that was real? from an geologist view who hunts fossils and minerals, would you beat on it with the shovel and grate along the sides digging a relic ? I've never CW hunted and I would do a relic more carefull even a bullet, let alone a good find. Seems more like a " reason the gov says you shouldn't be allowed to hunt" or a failed comedy attempt video

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
No we don't actually think that was real but in the process of digging up a relic as big as a shell hitting it is a given. It is easy to dig around a bullet or button but scraping a shell is pretty much unavoidable. With the primitive fusing of civil war ordnance you aren't going to set it off just by hitting it. With the possible exception of a Tice fuse which could go off if the spring has decayed. But it was pretty funny
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:34:42 AM by divedigger »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 02:29:40 PM »
It was probably on "You Tube" first.:)
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »
Most certainly not real.  In addition to the way it ended looking like someone's video project, there is almost no way someone in this esteemed group wouldn't have heard of a digger having such an experience.  I'm sure it would have also been media fodder.   There has never been one go off while digging it up and as DiveDigger says the fusing makes it nearly zero chance one would.  Regarding Alwion's question about the shovel hitting it while digging it happens pretty often unless you are very methodical and careful while digging.  And given the feeling that I get when the shovel makes that tell-tale sound I wouldn't want to miss out on that sound.  Few things dug make the same shovel sound.
Best,
Carl

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 05:36:42 PM »
Watched it expecting the worse and then laughed my ass off.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

gflower

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 06:38:53 PM »
Well said Carl,
Having dug over 450 of those lovely metal pieces of art the sound of a shovel hitting the metal is sweet music to my ears! Plus having dinged a few buttons, bullets and buckles in my day my   Ham handed digging style has rarely lead to a devaluation of my heavy metal prizes. Gary