Relic Discussion > Artillery

30 lb Parrott incendiary

(1/4) > >>

divedigger:
Mike a couple of years ago you posted a picture of a cross sectioned 30 lb Parrott incendiary. Do you still have access to that shot? I am boiling one now and all that tar is coming out the fuse hole . I would like to see the chambers again if possible, thanks, David

emike123:
I don't think it was me, David.  I vaguely remember someone posting info on an incendiary Parrott shell on the old forum, but thats about all I recall. 

Does anybody else remember those posts? 

Perhaps Jack Melton or Col. Biemick have some information to share.

John D. Bartleson Jr.:
Digger,
   This is the only thing I have of your caliiber and it was drawn from Abbot's plates.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Dave the plumber:
         Guys,       Do they all have a bolt in the base ? If not, is there any other way of identifying this feature ??                Does yours have a bolt Dave ??

John D. Bartleson Jr.:
Dave,
   Col. John Biemick reported that he had or has a 30 pdr Parrottt shell with no base bolt. On unloading it from the nose he discovered a partition much like my drawing with a stoppered access into the lower chamber which was filled with an incendiary mix.
    Evidently the lower chamber was filled the closed with some kind of stopper and the upper chamber filled with black powder. How is that one for a potential hazard?
Regards,
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version