Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: What type of shell is this  (Read 9287 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
What type of shell is this
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:55:15 AM »
I am in no way trying to start a vetting of e-bay on this forum, but I would appreciate someone who knows more about shells than I do to identify this one.  I have the exact bolt, without sabot, that was recovered in Vicksburg in the 1980s.  I've never considered it a CW projectile, but at the same time, I've not been able to identify it either.  Thanks.  Jimmy

http://cgi.ebay.com/9-INCH-CIVIL-WAR-PARROTT-SHOT-CANNON-BALL-W-SABOT-/220809229616?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3369417530

Pete George

• Email
Re: What type of shell is this
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:37:27 AM »
  It is definitely an anti-tank/armor-piercing Solid Shot from the WW1-WW2 era.  The measurement given in the auction indicates it is a 75-millimeter caliber projectile.

Caution-note: With post-civil-war artillery projectiles, the lack of a fuze in the nose does not neccessarily mean the projectile is a Solid-Shot.  Some were "base-fuzed."  Those can be recognized by the presence of a brass plug in the center of the projectile's flat base.

The small hole in the base of the Solid-Shot on Ebay means it is a "tracer" round.

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:20:20 PM by Pete George »

swest47

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Oh, yes that is a modern artillery round.

I just posted this to the seller:

I want to warn you before you sell this thing. Thats not Civil War and it's not a Parrot shell.

I am a civil war relic hunter and collector and your very mistaken about this shell. Please gone on Google and search for Parrot shells you will see what I mean. If you have access the best place to go are Field Artillery Projectiles of the Civil War by Dickey and George or Civil War Heavy Explosive Ordinance by Bell.

Jack Wells

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 02:24:11 PM »
Definitely a 75mm. APCT,(Armor Piercing Caped with Tracer),on this one the hollow thin metal cap is missing from the nose.On the APTBD (Armor Piercing Base Detonating)there is a large steel screw in plug with spanner holes that was screwed in to the base after the cavity was filled with explosive "D".The tracer was on a steel boss that extended below the base that contained the Tracer element,and a base detonating fuze.I've forgotten the model number,and the few Ordnance manuals I still have are packed away some place.
Jack
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 02:27:19 PM »
Sir,
   Evidently the projectile has been removed from your ebay link.
I can vouch for Pete George's comment.  I might add that some AP and HE rounds of modern day may also have an aluminum tracer cap with a base detonating fuze beneath.
Best Regards,
John aka Bart

swest47

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
Nope wasn't my ebay sale.

If you read the message closely you'll see I was warning the person making the sale that she was in error and about to miss represent a sale as Civil War when it was clearly modern.

Notice, also, I referenced the books she should check if she had any questions.

She later told me that she notified all here 25 bidders and the hi bidder still wanted it. Go figure! 

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 04:50:43 PM »
Here is the response I got from clicking on the link in the first of this post:

This listing (220809229616) has been removed, or this item is not available.

Please check that you've entered the correct item number
Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

John

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 05:13:13 PM »
Mr. George, John, Jack,

Many thanks for the help in identifying the projectile.  As I stated in my original post, while the projectile I have in my collection was recovered in Vicksburg, I felt strongly from the day I recovered it to today that it was not Civil War.  In fact, I've had it in my "what is it? box for the last 10-12 years.   Now I can put it out on display properly identified. 

jimmy

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:40:57 PM »
Here is a 3 inch shell much like the one you reported on.  Except his one has a base fuse and is full of TNT.  Note the base doesn't really have a fuse looking device in it; just a flat brass bottom and it sould be easy to assume this shell wasn't loaded.  It's weight confirms it's not a bolt.

I've spent a little time trying to understand some of these projectiles and finally came to understand that it's a very complicated world regarding projectiles designed since the American Civil War.  The inventors got real creative and the projectiles real dangerous.  There are a few forum members with some great knowledge they shared.  Personally I would never assume one is not dangerous or is even a bolt unless you know exactly what you have.   I recommend avoiding them or getting very educated and finding some good resources.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:58:43 AM »
  Carl, since you seem to desire to increase your knowelge of postwar-to-today artillery shells, go here:
http://cartridgecollectors.org/introtoartyammo/introtoarty.htm
It's a superbly educational website I lucked into while google-searching the Internet for artillery projectile info, several years ago.  Great info there, and lots of photos ...including many marvelous "cutaway" ones.

Perhaps some of the rest of you guys would also like to see all the knowledge thee.

Of course, no website (or book) can show every artillery projectile model or sub-variation ...but that site covers a lot of them.  Enjoy.

Regards,
Pete

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 10:43:27 PM »
Pete,

Yes, I'm aware of that site and you are right that it is a very good reference to know about.  eMike and I have it linked off our site:
     http://www.bulletandshell.com/
on the left side where we have some reference links.  I've referred to it a number of times over the years and given it to others to use.  Thanks for bringing it up here for visibility.  If you or anyone else knows of any other informative sites on artillery or bullets that would be good to share, please let us know so we can help spread the word.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »
Carl,
     www.bocn.com is an excellent site for all types of ordnance from all eras and like this site you have to join to see the posts.
Regards,
John

Aquachigger

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 07:36:07 PM »
Here is another great resource for the later shell collector. If the link doesn't work, just do a search for "TM-9-1901 Artillery Ammunition".
http://www.scribd.com/doc/24436830/Tm-9-1901-Artillery-Ammunition-1944

clrollins

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 07:35:17 PM »
Hi,
I just found a shell washed up on the beach near Fort Caswell which is across from Southport, NC.  This area has had active forts from the 1830's through WWII.  This shell is 10 inches long, 3 inches in diameter, and has what appears to be a copper revolving band.  It is totally encrusted exccept for a couple of places where the crud has chipped off exposing the band.  At first I thought this might be Civil War since there were several large Confederate forts in the area which is close to Fort Fisher and the "old " entrance to the Cape Fear River.  Several blokade runners including the Ella were sunk here by the federal blockading squadron.  However, now I'm wondering if if might be WWI or WWII.  It lools like this picture you had up of the flat based shell.  What have I got?  Any ideas?

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 10:06:37 PM »
It very much sounds like a 20th century projectile but a picture is certainly needed here.

One word of caution:  DON'T try to clean it up with a hammer!  Consider it dangerous until you are positive it's not.

Also, welcome to the forum!
Best,
Carl