Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Return to Kake, AK  (Read 7260 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Return to Kake, AK
« on: July 27, 2015, 08:29:11 PM »
While in Alaska this past week, I went to this town, population 625:

http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=167.msg893#msg893

Home also of the world's tallest totem pole.  Folks there are very proud of their heritage:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:34:02 PM by emike123 »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Re: Richmond Show
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
Proof of my presence in the big town of Kake.  For some reason they gave me the honor of carrying the paddle in their dance, possibly because the 3 year old at the left couldn't handle it, but I didn't clown around because like I say these Tlingit folks take their heritage seriously. 

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 08:38:07 PM »
They have a lot of bear in Kake, probably as many as people.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:38:45 PM »
And they definitely have more eagles than people....

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:41:04 PM »
Lots of salmon going upstream for lunch

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 08:42:05 PM »
My best picture was taken mostly by luck on the way out of town...

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 08:50:02 PM »
Back on topic...while in Kake, they were renovating an old cannery into a cultural museum which will house the famous Parrott shell.  This helicopter is hauling away the old smokestack.  Flashbacks SelmaHunter?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Return to Kake, AK
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 09:45:38 PM »
Natives have 6 types of totem poles.  I did not see this one shown, but the 6th type is called a "Ridicule Pole" and the person of ridicule is set on top.  This one is of Lincoln for the sin of not asking them before abolishing slavery, which to "First Americans" was admittedly practiced differently by them from what we think of when we think of Africans being captured and brought to America.  I am going to commission me one of these with an eagle below Lincoln.  I saw one with Seward on it.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 09:51:58 PM »
Claws on this grizz are the size of bananas.  I had a .22LR pistol.  Knowing it wouldn't do any good against him, I instead shot the person beside me in the knee and took off...

(PS: This story is not true, but the bear picture is mine)

Selma Hunter

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 08:49:23 AM »
Mike,

Traveling man!  I hope that when you arrive in Marietta next month you leave the carpet bag at home! ::).  There are still "shoot-on-site" orders out for anyone seen carrying such luggage "south of the border".  Also, I meant to ask, how much iron CAN you carry in one of those bags?

As you noted the removal of the smokestack and brought that to my particular attention it might be that you were referring to the remains of the Selma Foundry structures in Selma???? They were likely built from the same brick as the Confederate Naval Gun Foundry and Ordnance Works ("CNGF&OW") - salvaged from the site and rebuilt into a successful foundry operation that was in continuous operation up until the 1960's.  The same George Peacock who served as Catesby ap R. Jone's furnace master was the owner/operater of a foundry there for many years.  Ironically, Peacock was brought to America by John Ericsson of USS Monitor fame circa 1848 to work with Ericsson on the development of ironclad ships for the US Navy.  Like everyone else, Peacock determined that the intensely irritating Swede wasn't someone he could work with and parted company with him not long after arriving in America.  The irony (shortcut in the story here) is that Peacock (arguably the finest iron expert/furnace master to be found anywhere) wound up working for Catesby Jones at the CNGF&OW in Selma making rifled cannon and projectiles specifically designed to destroy Monitor class vessels developed by Ericsson for the use of the yankee navy.  BTW, the Brooke rifles were perfectly capable of penetrating the 8" of layered iron normally employed in the construction of Monitor-class turrets.

FWIW, the current management in Selma offers not one chance in a million that a dime will be spent to preserve the historically significant structures now almost beyond saving.  Sad, but true.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:29:24 PM by Selma Hunter »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Parrott Shell in Alaska
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 04:06:33 PM »
Hello Mike, welcome home.
    The last I heard Alaska is a state of the United States of America.  Does this mean that all of the states involved in the ACW can make similar claims??
    I wonder if it is the same shell that John Biemick flew to Alaska to safe a similar Parrott shell 2-3 years ago??  So the leader of the tribe should retract his statement that we have never helped. :)
Kind Regards,
John
P.S. this must be the longest, single post! :)

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 01:57:37 AM »
Great post and pics, Mike. So.... how many blankets did you offer for the shell?
Later,
Dave Slemmer

ETEX

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »
Great post and photos Mike. Did the Grizzly stand while you were in the area or stay on all fours. The black looks old, when I lived in Virginia we hunted black bears under dogs in Virginia and West Virginia. That is one heck of a sport and an endurance test following dogs through the mountains. FYI the Grizzly is one of very few animals in Alaska that does not fall under Wanton Waste laws. The meat and smell of skinning one will make you sick. Black bear is good eating if you cook the grease out of it but a Grizzly is horrible. I don't know the true reason but have head it is the amount of salmon they eat that causes the meat to be so nauseating.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 10:02:29 PM »
Thanks guys.  I saw 2 grizzly and 8 black bear there in the span of under a week. Several were pretty young.  I did not have a big lens on my camera so they were all close but never too close for comfort and none ever got up on two legs.  I was not hunting or fishing but I did get to eat some local fare, but I never acquired a taste for most of it.

The dog salmon were heading upstream to spawn and this drew in lots of eagles and sea lions too.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 06:46:21 PM »
What has happened to the shell??
John