Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: THIS HAS GONE TOO FAR!  (Read 4803 times)

John M. Brooke

THIS HAS GONE TOO FAR!
« on: July 11, 2015, 05:40:08 PM »
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The Confederate battle flag no longer flies at South Carolina's Statehouse, now relegated to a room filled with other relics of the state's secession. Other vestiges of the Civil War-era South are unlikely to vanish so soon.Several states have taken or are considering action to remove the flag and other Confederate symbols and monuments since the massacre of nine people at a Bible study inside a black church; police have charged a man shown in pictures with the flag who they say was motivated by hate. It has been banished from Alabama's Capitol and federal cemeteries, and Memphis officials are working to move the remains and a statue of slave trader and Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest out of a prominent park.

Remove Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest from his final resting place over political correctness!! 

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:19:57 PM by emike123 »

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: THIS HAS GONE TO FAR!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 07:22:23 AM »
you are right, this is a knee jerk reaction, and it is stupid. Contact the politicians in the areas and states where this is happening and let them know you are a voter and think this is bullshit !  It's history - not hate

John M. Brooke

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 11:16:43 AM »
RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Stemming from a national debate over the Confederate flag and whether it should be shown in public there is now an online push to have monuments of Confederate leaders removed from Richmond’s streets.

What's next after they destroy Monument Avenue?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: THIS HAS GONE TOO FAR!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 04:19:13 PM »
I expect pressure to rename US military bases such as Forts Bragg, Lee, A.P Hill, Hood, etc. someday.

Some version of the stars and stripes flag of the United States that we still wave today flew as a National flag (thus representing the laws of the land) from June 14, 1777 until slavery in the United States ended completely on December 6, 1865.  Obviously, it doesn't (yet?) carry the stigma of the battle flag of the largest and highest profile Army of the Confederacy, but it is an interesting fact.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:20:10 PM by emike123 »

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 06:27:34 PM »
Bases probably will be renamed someday, but I was encouraged by this article.

http://www.gruntreport.com/2015/06/the-us-armys-response-to-confederate-base-names-is-perfect/

In Richmond, the local paper has called for removal of the Jefferson Davis statute on Monument Avenue

http://www.richmond.com/opinion/our-opinion/article_d1eb4106-d395-503a-a2c7-e9f919014d2a.html

his g-g-grandson wrote a reply column

http://www.richmond.com/opinion/their-opinion/guest-columnists/article_00939185-0560-5884-bff1-8c737f38914b.html

and there's an online petition to rename Jefferson Davis Highway.

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/article_a78d971e-11ca-5486-8b77-ca3c5aa7babf.html

I can think of several reasons why we ought to rename all of the boulevards and schools named after Martin King, but I haven't built up the courage or stupidity to write a letter to the editor.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 07:14:58 PM »
Don't do it -- you'll be disbarred and feathered.  Out here in the flatlands (speaking specifically of Chicago and Indy), if I see a Martin Luther King Blvd I know I am in the shittiest of all possible neighborhoods and silently pray to God I don't break down.  I am sure it is intended as an honor, but its a cruel joke here.

John M. Brooke

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 12:43:52 AM »
I only bring this up because I hate to see our history treated this way. I would like to know who is standing up for our side of the story. My ancestor died picking up the flag of the 33rd VA at Second Manassas while leading the Stonewall Brigade. He didn't own any slaves and I know for a fact the flag was the symbolic representation of what he was truly fighting for. He was defending his family, farm, and the Shenandoah Valley from a foreign invader. William Smith Hanger Baylor literally died for the Confederate battle flag. My grandfather told me stories about sadness still felt in the family many years after the war was over. When I see the flag removed and used as a hate symbol its more than just offensive, its personal!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:48:32 AM by John M. Brooke »

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 09:19:39 AM »
I have 16 direct and collateral ancestors who fought in the Confederate army.  Some of them died.  None owned a single slave and most were poor as hell.

Horrible the way these patriots are being remembered and disrespected these days.   I can have some understanding about a Confederate flag flying on a government building or property, but the outright demonization of the flag, monuments, street names, etc... and having such a thing as a battle flag compared to a Nazi swastika pisses me off to no end. 

The CS bf, along with the North Carolina Republic, CS third national, bonnie blue, and the don't tread on me flags fly at my house in rotation and always will.