Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Kudos to Jack Melton !!  (Read 4159 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
Kudos to Jack Melton !!
« on: June 25, 2015, 10:18:43 PM »
       I just got my quarterly copy of the newest issue of the Artilleryman magazine.
   Jack Melton, noted artillery guru, author, publisher,  photographer and who knows what else, has taken over the publishing of this highly regarded publication. The first issue under his leadership is a great one !! You can note the change just in the weight of it, there are a lot more articles and pages in it. There are many familiar names and authors featured in here, some of which are participants on this forum.
     Firstly, Jack Melton led off with a in-depth article about US and CS Bormann fuzes; their construction, use, and tools used with servicing them. Very well done. Great photographs too.
      Colonel John Biemeck did a great article on determining if a cast iron sphere is really a cannonball or some other item like a fence post, rock crushe4r  or shot putt.
     Our John Bartleson did an in depth article of the British Armstrong fuze complete with some of his superb plates.
   On the cover is our own Dave Gotter in full color. Dave is the probably the most knowledgeable canister rebuilder and go-to canister guy alive right now.
    There was also an article about the gigantic Mansfield, Ohio Civil War  show and it's origins and long history. Also, is another in-depth article about the modern colorization of original Civil War photographs and how the author painstakingly researches the subject and then layers color upon these old photo's to make them come alive
    I am sure there are other forum participants inside these pages, but they use a 'handle' that does not show their name. Carl or Mike know who they are.....
   Anyway, new life has been breathed into this 38 year running magazine. The original publisher was Peter Jorgensen, who was a very active NSSA shooter and collector, until his death a few years back, and his wife Kay then took it over.  Thanks go to her for keeping the magazine alive.
   I highly recommend this publication. If you are a regular on these forums, you would find it interesting and a great source of information.  The subscription is I believe a measly $25 a year for 4 issues. I look forward to many years of good reading with Jack Melton at the helm.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Kudos to Jack Melton !!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 03:15:33 PM »
Well said, David.  Job well done Jack.

For those who would like to read an online copy, see:
               http://issuu.com/artillerymanmagazine/docs/2015_summer
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 10:42:33 PM »
Each person Dave mentioned in his post above is either active here or a lurker.   It will be interesting to see if Jack can make the publication a commercial success.  Jack's talent is clearly evident in the quality upgrade of the latest issue. 

Although no attribution was given, several of the items photographed in the magazine are mine, and presumably some of the tools are the "Plumber's wrenches."

Among other things, I know Jack plans to build a database of surviving cannon to get that information out there in the public seeing as Jim Bender and his buddies who inherited Wayne Stark’s mantle and then used it as a position of power are unwilling to share.  This has been a behind the scenes effort to another thread previously posted here and an idea we forumites should be proud of giving birth to.  Jack has already copied at least one cannon pictures we have posted here to track down the tube and help start the database.  I welcome that beginning at what will be a significant amount of work he, and a soon to be enlisted volunteer army, will have to do to get the database populated from scratch considering the lack of support from the folks who inherited the database after Wayne Stark's demise.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:36:30 AM by emike123 »

Garret

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
Mike, any updates as to when Jack's artillery book is headed for publication?
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 11:14:04 PM »
He can comment directly or through one of us, but from my last conversation with Jack, his half shell book is ready for publication and the big artillery encyclopedia is next.  I do not have an exact eta.  Jack's father passed away in December and understandably that caused a re-shifting of his priorities as well as the fact that his real estate photography business has been booming.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:15:18 PM by emike123 »

Garret

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 12:12:05 AM »
Thanks for the update, Mike.  I was glad to add Jack's Bowie knife book to my bookshelf, even though I don't even collect knives.  The quality of Jack's work is exceptional and I can't wait to pick up his artillery books.
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain