Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 12 pdr breech loading Whitworth, back sight,  (Read 6596 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
12 pdr breech loading Whitworth, back sight,
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »
    Can someone provide me with a clear photo of the subject back sight to include what graduations it used? yards, degrees etc. ?
Regards,
John

tomcrawford

• Email
Re: 12 pdr breech loading Whitworth, back sight,
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 10:48:23 AM »
Good Day,
If you have the book "The English Connection"in chapter 8, there are several good photos that might serve your purpose.  If you cannot find this book, I'll try and make some clear copies for your use.  pages 426-441 is the majority of photos from museum relics and period pictures.

The English Connection,  Russ A. Pritchard, C.A. Huey ... copyright 2014, Thomas Publishing Gettysburg PA  ISBN  978-1-57747-181-3

Hope this can serve some of your needs
R/S
TAC

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 01:09:25 PM »
Tom,
   Thank you very much for your offer to scan just the rear sight of the 12 pdr Whitworth Cannon.  I fear $125 is too steep for me since my main interest is in artillery projectiles and fuzes.
Kind Regards,
John
Just email it to me if you will and thanks again. My email is at left under my avatar.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:17:12 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

tomcrawford

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 10:59:18 PM »
Will get started, The book is pricey but excellent reference the entire 8th chapter is only artillery and fuzes. 

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 05:44:09 PM »
Tom,
  Thank you for the assistance in this matter.  Is this the book that Huey and, at the time, with an unknown author?
Regards,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 05:58:14 PM »
Here is a link to the book with authorship info from our friends the publishers who also are forum members:

http://thomaspublications.com/books-new.html

There were some delays in getting it published, most notable the untimely demise of our friend Corky Huey

http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=1048.0

...who was an Anglophile and spent lots of time on this before he passed.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 10:35:01 PM »
Thanks Mike,
  Apparently the book has been reduced to $125.00.  I wonder how many pages are devoted to shells and fuzes? Is this the book where Corky has prresented the half shell collection?
Regards,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 09:52:39 AM »
I think you are thinking of Jack Melton's soon to be published book on half shells.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 12:05:06 PM »
Mike,
That could very well be right since Jack's book will contain half shells.  So that means that Corkey was working with two authors? Does the "British Connection" show sectioned projectiles and or fuzes?
Kind Regards,
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »
As the Thomas website details:

A ground-breaking study and reference detailing the arms, material, and support furnished to the Confederate States of America by Great Britain.  This huge volume is stuffed with full-color detailed photos of all items.  Included are a directory of British suppliers, details on markings, small arms, artillery, edged weapons, ammunition, accoutrements, uniforms, and much more.  Fully cited, with bibliography and index.

I did look on another website that had pictures of a few of the books pages but none showed any artillery.  Perhaps Jim or someone who has seen the book can comment on what is in it.  I can't imagine that Corky would do a book that included information on English artillery and not include any half shell images of pertinent shells.

The book appears to have 5 major contributing authors:
            By Russ Pritchard, jr., C.A. Huey, with Mike Nicholls, Tim Prince, & Dean Thomas
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:25:55 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 02:36:37 PM »
Carl,
   Thanks for the added info.  I have been to the Thomas web site. I was hoping that a member had a copy of the book and coujld enlighten us on the contents of the artillery chapter.
Thanks,
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »
Tom,
I withdraw my request as you might be violating a copyright infringement by scanning the page. So I have changed my mind ,However I want to thank you for your consideration.
Regards,
John

tomcrawford

• Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 07:44:58 PM »
Okay, but for educational purposes copy is allowed, such as study. I was told generally if credit is given and no profit is taken its allowable; but I'm no lawyer!  The entire 8th chaper is on shells, fuzes and ordnance pieces, great general info and specifics on locations of examples. Pages 385-452.  Have taken photos and close ups of just the sights and some text.  Let me know shipmate. 
Different subject how many plates have you done on torpedoes and their fuzes?
R/S
TAC

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 11:41:34 PM »
Hello tom,
   to be up front, I wanted to help a nondigger/collector who has machined a 3 inch Whitworjth rifle but had no plans for the rear sight.  So I looked through my resources and came up short until your post. If I rmember Whitworth had 2 or 3 sights on his rifles.  Although the patent makes no mention of sights.
Kind Regards,
John