Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Large caliber round found Air Force EOD takes possesion  (Read 13258 times)

Jim J.

Re: Large caliber round found Air Force EOD takes possesion
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 07:18:16 AM »
Carl,
Thank you for the comments.  Do you by any chance know the dimensions and weight on the 200 & 300 pound Parrott rounds.  The EOD guys have informed me that they think it is a 7" Parrott, I will have to ask them to measure the circumference of the sabot.  This will be a good way of determining the size of the shell, even though it is now oval shaped.  It will also be interesting to see the condition of the fuze up close.  We have lost some to corrosion, galvanic action to the iron in the shell.  Col. JB is interested to know if any melting occurred during the shell's flight, so we have some research to do!
Regards, Jim J.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 07:53:48 AM »
Jim,

It might shed some light on the subject if someone would measure the perimeter (length) of the sabot, invoke some Pi, and see what happens.???????

Would someone who knows more about math than I do please chime in?!

THX.  All this FWIW.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 08:36:17 AM »
The width of the sabot get progressively wider from 6.4, 8, 10 inch shells.
John

Jim J.

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 08:36:59 AM »
"Selma Hunter"
Thanks for the reply.  Forgive me but I cannot resist - perimeter (length) = circumference.  You are on the ball, as this measurement will tell us what we want to know!   ;)
Jim J.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 11:00:36 AM »
My Pleasure, Sir!

3 quarters of graphics in a technical management discipline at a major university school of engineering wasn't all a waste after all!

If anyone wants a pi tape (direct read diameter tape) see me at the Marietta show.  I have a few left to sell.  These read to 1/64 th of an inch as I recall

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 07:09:31 PM »
The circumference (length around the shell) is the diameter time Pi (3.14).  So an 8-inch 200-lber is 8 x 3.14 or about 25.1 inches.  I used the radius and not the diameter on my earlier posting which his why I got the incorrect number of 12.5 inches.  My apologies.  For a 10-inch 300-lber the circumference would be 3.14 x 10 or 31.4 inches.  I'll measure a 200-lber when I get a chance.  I don't have a 300-lber to measure as they are exceedingly rare so a hard one to come by.
Best,
Carl

redbob

• Email
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 07:56:23 PM »
The circumference of a 200# Parrot Shell by my measurement is 25.1 inches.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:00:07 PM by redbob »

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 09:12:45 PM »
  Please pardon the following technical nitpicking... I seem to be becoming brother Lockridge's apprentice at curmudgeonliness.
  In doing circumference calculations of muzzle-loading projectiles, let's not forget that due to the need for windage their body diameter is always a bit smaller than the cannon's bore diameter.  If the Charleston shell is a 10-inch caliber Parrott shell its body diameter would be 3.14 x 9.90 inches, which calculates to 31.086 inches.

Regards,
Pete

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 10:12:46 PM »
I think Carl was transferring the old theory of "horseshoes and hand grenades" to artillery measurements.....close counts.   :D
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

alwion

• Email
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 04:47:46 PM »
is windage different for every shell, or is it always the same amount?

Selma Hunter

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »
All,

The standard of the day was 20/100ths, regardless.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 06:57:06 AM »
20/100?  If my math is correct thats 0.2".  Were the tubes slightly bigger than  what we say when classifying a shell for example  3.3". if I add .2 to some of my shell diameters, seems they would not fit, yet I'm sure a couple are 3.3's. Sorry I know for many this is "basic" but I've been collecting for patterns and just started measuring, and recently find that some seem "off" in measurements for what I thought they were.

Jim J.

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 09:17:55 AM »
Ah, Gentlemen, the plot thickens!  The AirForce EOD has just informed me that the circumference of the sabot is about 26.6".  They do admit that the sabot is distorted, and it is not easy to measure accurately.  So, I will make a WAG here and say that we are most likely dealing with an 8" - 200 pdr Parrott shell - Thank you Carl, Redbob and others for your information.  Yes, I know the measurement is more than the usual 25.1, but I think that 5% error in the crude measuring is acceptable for an ID.
The transfer of the CSS Georgia shells has been delayed, so the Marines at Beaufort will be inerting our shells most likely in September - along with this individual!  I am just going to have to wait a little longer before I see it.
Regards,
Jim J.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 03:21:50 PM »
Thanks Jim for your intervention in this matter and for making arrangements for the inertiing process and for its preservation.
Regards,
John

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 01:48:36 PM »
I could measure my 300 pounder, but I can't find my circumference tape!