Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Large caliber round found Air Force EOD takes possesion  (Read 13261 times)

tomcrawford

• Email
Large caliber round found Air Force EOD takes possesion
« on: December 06, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »
UPDATED with photos of the explosive device... Live Civil War artillery found at SC construction site

Photos & details: http://www.wbtw.com/story/27537792/bomb

Garret

• Email
Re: Large caliber round found Air Force EOD takes possesion
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 02:00:00 AM »
Sad that nobody will listen to reason.  If it hasn't blown up for over 150 years....
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 02:16:52 AM »
Hello,

At the link posted above:
          http://www.wbtw.com/story/27537792/bomb
there are now more images which clearly show it to be a 200-lber Parrott shell.  I have it on word of mouth that it wasn't destroyed but in fact saved and I am trying to confirm that.
Best,
Carl

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »
I certainly hope that is the case. A shell from the swamp angel is significant and should be saved. Carl should clean it

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »
I don't think anyone cleans as well as you and such an important relic needs to be done by the best!  Plus Mike has worn out my back at Franklin so not sure it is up to a shell this big for a while.  :)
Best,
Carl

Jim J.

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
I have just got off the phone, talking to an Air Force EOD Sgt, who informed me that the shell will be "saved".  This was after I talked to the Charleston police, who informed me that the shell had already been blown up.  They, the AF, are talking to a Marine EOD unit, who are interested in inerting the shell so that it can be cleaned and conserved.  I know the Marines who are involved here, and am trying to get the shell down to the Lab for conservation after they have carefully "drilled it".  We will then have to figure out where the shell goes for public display.  I hope to have some images before the end of the day, if so, I will share here.
BTW - according to the EOD Sgt, the shell is most likely an 8" Parrot, with a brass sabot.  I was told there were no grooves in the sabot, which is currently missing, so it is most likely an unfired shell.  I am in the process of trying to locate the sabot.
Hopefully, we can save another small piece of history - Preserving our Past, for our Future!
Jim J.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 04:05:04 PM »
you will never find the sabot. Most Parrotts threw the sabot when fired so it is most likely in the marsh of Morris Island. That is good news that it will be saved. Thanks for the update

Jim J.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 04:28:54 PM »
Divedigger, your comment about the sabot is noted - "Most Parrotts threw the sabot when fired."  This is often the case, but there is more to the Charleston shell story.  Evidently there was a sabot with the shell, that was collected as a souvenir by one of the "powers that be".  I am in the process of trying to track down one of the first images taken of the shell, that I am told shows a partial brass sabot.  It was allowed to go, as it was not deemed hazardous.
Jim J.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 05:07:21 PM »
Yes, thanks very much for the update and very glad that it has been saved from a shape charge.  Very good to hear.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 05:11:04 PM »
Well done Jim. if the Police do't have it nor the EOD team then check city hall.
Do not offer it to Fort Sump;ter and they were not interested when I  phoned them.
Les Jenson, Curator of the West Point museum was also seeking it
John
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 11:44:31 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 04:02:57 AM »
well done Jim and John. Thanks for both of your effort

Jim J.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 08:11:17 AM »
A quick update on this shell.  A Marine EOD unit now has possession of the shell, and will hopefully inert it in the near future.  They have also managed to get ahold of the brass sabot, that was taken as a souvenir by a third party. If all goes well and according to plan, I will take possession of the shell and conserve it.  I will be looking at the fuze closely, as a number of people would like to know it's condition regarding why it failed.  We also have to figure out where it goes after conservation, as I do not yet know who really "owns" the shell.
Jim J.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 10:48:50 AM »
Jim,
   Les Jensen, Curator of the West Point Museum is interested in obtaining it for display. Is the sabot now with the shell? Does it show signs of firing?
Regards,
Johhn

Jim J.

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 12:08:51 PM »
Okay, at long last some new images.

Here is another image of the shell when she was found.

This is a close up view of the zinc percussion fuse.

This is the best image that I have of the sabot, it is distorted and they tell me the diameter is 10".  If one takes a 7" ring and makes an oval, the long measurement can easily be 10"!  More importantly, the sabot is now with the shell.  To my eye, it looks as though it has been fired - there are rifling grooves in the sabot.
The plan is the Marines at Ft. Beaufort will inert the shell, and then I will conserve it at the Lab and return it to a local museum (TBD!).  I am not interested in keeping it, just seeing that it is conserved for prosperity.
Comments are appreciated.
Jim J.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 09:24:31 PM »
Looks to me from the images to be an 8-inch short pattern Parrott.  That would make the circumference to be about 12.5 inches.  While it could be a 300-lber (10-inch caliber) it doesn't appear that big to me but that may be due to the angle of the image.  Those 300-lbers look enormous and would never be mistaken for a 200-lber!  The 200-lber short is about 135 pounds (long about 155) while the 300-lber is 250 pounds.  It looks like it might have used the zinc percussion fuse.

Thank you very much for your assistance in saving it.  The iron looks pretty decent on it.
Best,
Carl