Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: "Unlisted" ... really?????  (Read 4343 times)

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
"Unlisted" ... really?????
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »
OK, this is just a personal rant, I know, but pah-leeeeze people, what is the deal with folks listing bullets as "unlisted"?   Unlisted in what?...the "bullet bible"?  Or is it truly not listed in any reference work available?  Or are those writing the descriptions too cheap or lazy to buy/read the materials that are available?  Or, as I suspect, does using "unlisted" in the description make the specimen more valuable/desirable and hence worthy of the inflated price attached to it?  As far as the excuse "it doesn't measure exactly the same" as an illustrated specimen; how much difference in dimension does qualify as "a different bullet"?  Personally, I'm not convinced that some really even know how to measure bullets accurately.  Other bullet specimens may be intentionally unlisted because they are not of the American Civil War period or were not used in this country.  OK, I feel better now...... I'll go take my meds............

dlw1610

• Email
Re: "Unlisted" ... really?????
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 07:11:51 AM »
I hope the meds help but somehow doubt it.

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 07:37:09 PM »
David you may be right on this one.

Jim, what set you off on this tangent this time?

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »
I happened to come across an online bullet list that has some bullets described as "unlisted" which are probably in almost every bullet reference book I have ever seen.  So I cannot imagine how they are unlisted.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 02:55:15 AM »
I'd be cranky, too. Jim's meds are all suppositories.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 01:49:45 PM »
The only thing worse than the "unlisted" thing is when folks that should know better can't even spell the names of their bullets correctly.  :o    Come on Mike and/or Carl....I'm shakin' my head!

http://www.bulletandshell.com/Items/item.php?id=B00111

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »
Unlike you I occasionally  make typos.  While typing up a bunch of employee reviews I took a break and listed this for a friend.  Not being a bullet collector it did not stand out to me that I typed it wrong.  What was submitted by the owner to me was correct.  Thanks for discreetly pointing it out!  ;)
Best,
Carl