Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Georgia Armory Enfield  (Read 5458 times)

Lazouave

• Email
Georgia Armory Enfield
« on: October 05, 2014, 04:35:37 PM »
I was recently fortunate to acquire a Georgia Armory marked Enfield Rifle. It was made by CW James and has a nice
marking of his on the stock. The top of the barrel near the breech end is stamped "GA Armory".

My question is regarding the "C.S." stamp on the reverse of the lock plate. The picture attached clearly shows a few markings including a CWJ to the left of the C.S..

Was the C.S. a universal stamp applied by many of the Confederate shops reworking damaged weapons or is it unique to the Georgia Armory. Has anyone encounter similar markings?

Roy A

• Email
Re: Georgia Armory Enfield
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »
I really hope I am incorrect, but I think that the gun is a forgery unfortunately. Nothing which you describe the gun having matches up to the known GA Enfields.

There should be a G on the stock as well as a CH1 in a circle as far as I know. Also, none of the imported Enfields were stamped CS as far as I know as well.

I know with a larger interest into CS identified Enfields, forgeries are becoming more and more common. 

**I just realized you stated Georgia produced Enfields but as far as I know, none were ever manufactured. Again, I hope I am wrong**
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 05:56:01 PM by Roy A »

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 04:20:06 PM »
Hi Roy,
thanks for your input.

I dont it believe to be a gun that was part of the Georgia contract, but simply a reworked gun that
passed through the Georgia Armory for repairs.

The fact that the gun is stamped on the interior of the lock would lead me to believe it is of the period. I would certainly question a CS on any exterior part. The style, font, etc... seem to match the other period markings.

I can, also, account for its whereabouts back to the early 1960's.

Roy A

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 04:32:06 PM »
Thats pretty cool then.

Any way you could post more pictures? Also, the one you have above is small and not much can be seen.

Thanks!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 05:29:57 PM »
Here is a bigger image so the markings can be better seen.

(Roy: You read my mind and I had reached out to John for that as I found this interesting.)

Best,
Carl

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 05:41:42 PM »
Thanks Carl!

alwion

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 07:12:51 PM »
don't know it it would help, but joe serbaroli and David Noe did a book on imported bayonets used in the CW just out in 2013. Theres alot of gun info in it also, and marks the CS used on the bayo's and guns. They are both friendly and might be of help