Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: goggles -again  (Read 2297 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
goggles -again
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »
 I believe I have brought up this subject before, but this weekend I was looking at an original Civil War era CS document and they were requesting shells for their 9 inch cannon, and 100 pairs of goggles. Just shells and goggles..........
    In all the war time photo's we all have seen, I personally have never seen any of the gunners wearing or holding goggles, not even hanging on their necks by the strap. But I guess by the document I saw, they sure enough used them. And you always see them listed on ebay - which I have always had my doubts of what they truly were.
   But I really don't see the need for goggles that much either. With all the pre -OSHA practices of the times dangerous as hell anyway,  not to mention big chunks of lead flying at you from the other side ....         Friction primers flying through the air - maybe. Acrid black powder smoke in your eyes in battle - maybe. Cannon barrel blowing up and sending 200 lb chunks of cast iron at your eyes - not necessary.
   Any reneactors or shooters or knowledgeable persons out there that can enlighten me ??

alwion

• Email
Re: goggles -again
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »
two thoughts
1. smoke from lots of big cannons would be irritating to the eyes
2. wind blowing over dirt fort walls, would stir up alot of dust, which might be annoying if you were trying to sight in a target