Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Williamsburg Virginia  (Read 5755 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
Williamsburg Virginia
« on: June 06, 2011, 10:34:34 AM »
I'm going to be in Williamsburg, VA for a few days later this month and was wondering if any forum members could recommend places to visit (history related).  I've got Yorktown, Jamestown, and WIlliamsburg on my list - but often the best places don't get as much attention.  Any recommendations!  Thanks!

Trader Sean

• Email
Re: Williamsburg Virginia
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
Hey,

I used to live right across the river in Isle of Wight County and there are many places over there to check out.  Many of these places offer Rev War history and Civil War History.  Some of the places to check are right across the river and the neat thing is the way to get across - there is a state run ferry that will take you and the car across to access the surry county side of the river.  Some of the neat places to check are:  Surry County(Surry), then a must see is Smithfield with a lot of history and some very good places to relic hunt as well.  Also another place to check out is the Yorktown which is just down from Jamestown.  These areas are filled with stuff to do for the history buff.  One other area which is just across the tunnel is Fort Monroe/Casemate museum and that is a neat fort to check out as well.  Hope these areas of some help to ya and anywhere in the commonwealth is filled with history whether your looking at it or diggin it.

Trader Sean

misipirelichtr

• Email
Re: Williamsburg Virginia
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:00:44 PM »
Thanks Sean.  I've added Fortress Monroe to my list of "to see".  Heading out tomorrow for Yorktown and Jamestown.  Appreciate the feedback